My Old Iron from the 1880s

A few years ago I bought this pattern maker's lathe from a professional woodturner. I do a lot of bowl turning on it, and it can handle anything that can fit on it.

Here's what I know. It's a lathe fmade by the Rollstone Machine Co. in Fitchburg, MA. Rollstone Machine Works History at OWWM It couldn't have been made later than 1890. It has a 24" swing, and can turn up to 6.5 feet between center. (I might be able to do 7 feet if I hang the headstock off the end.) I don't know how much it weighs, but everything can be removed/unbolted for easy transport. It's headstock has a 2 in. shaft, with plain bearings. The outboard side holds the thrust bearing/bolt, and the inboard side does not have a standard, or centered, taper. The tailstock has a MT #3, and can be slid offcenter to make tapered spindles. The oilers in the headstock are very archaic, just some holes to drip oil in manually....and frequently. They could easily be replaced by modern oilers.

Condition: Fine condition, especially considering it's age. Dents and dings are expected, and the ways have slight wear from the decades of tailstock movement. I bought it from a professional turner who used it daily. He had the inboard end of the shaft machined to 1 1/2" 8 TPI so standard accessories can be used. The person he bought it from abused it, breaking out some of the webbing in the bed casting because he thought it would make the perfect holder for his sheet goods.

He should take a long walk off a short pier.

Other than that it is in amazing condition. I would assume it's been in operation for at least 90% of the years since it was made. I consider myself very lucky to own this machine, and even luckier because of how little it cost me! Not to mention the fact that it truly is an historical machine, and I have only seen one othe Rollstone lathe, and it's posted at OWWM. Here are the pics.

Hutch

Attachments

• Rollstone Lathe 1.JPG
    Rollstone Lathe 1.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Rollstone Lathe 2.JPG
    Rollstone Lathe 2.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Bronze Bearing W.JPG
    Bronze Bearing W.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Headstock W.JPG
    Headstock W.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Inboard Yoke W.JPG
    Inboard Yoke W.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Outboard Yoke W.JPG
    Outboard Yoke W.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Shaft W.JPG
    Shaft W.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Tailstock W.JPG
    Tailstock W.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 78
Other than that it is in amazing condition. I would assume it's been in operation for at least 90% of the years since it was made. I consider myself very lucky to own this machine, and even luckier because of how little it cost me! Not to mention the fact that it truly is an historical machine, and I have only seen one othe Rollstone lathe, and it's posted at OWWM. Here are the pics.

Hutch

Hutch, I saw your pic with the lathe over at SMC's "woodturners and their lathes", but seeing more of the lathe and hearing more about it's history makes the statement in red above even more true! Not saying anything about your luck...just that I envy your lathe, a bunch! :thumb:

Matt,

A very nice piece of machinery. I would also be proud to have such a piece. BTW nice pile of dust on the floor too; is that a lawn mower under it?

Swimming in shavings

LOL, yes, that's a lawn mower under it. It came with the house, and it's not the one I use. As far as the chips go, I think I could fill up dumpster after dumpster. Last year I took 2 1/2 truck loads to the dump. I am talking about 10 cubic yards! Here is what I have accumulated over the winter.

Hutch

P.S. The dump I am referring to is for green stuff only. Such as trees, brush, leaves, grass clippings, etc.

Attachments

• Chip Pile.JPG
    Chip Pile.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
OK, i'm a bit jealous.
I've been looking at the 1880's lathe sitting on my bench (smaller than yours) waiting for its rehab while i finish up the 1940's Atlas table saw i'm rebuilding for a friend. I'm not so jealous of your lathe, but more of the pile of wood chips sitting under it. It'll be a while before mine can boast fire hazard status.
About the oilers - mine's got a Lunkenheimer oiler on it, which is consistent with its age. You might think about that as an option. They're regularly available on ebay and look exceedingly cool (brass and glass).
Have fun with the "new" toy.
paulh

That's a sweet oldtimer, for sure. :thumb: Great to see it's still being used and loved.

And Paul, thanks for the new word. :D Lunkenheimer...just rolls off the tongue so easily. Perfect word to use while driving in heavy traffic with kids in the car, when "normal" driving language is inappropriate. :p