HI new to wood turning

Zack Massey

Hey every one I am new to wood turning and have been trying for about 3 weeks. Here are some of the ones that I think are best. I need some tips and suggestions from you pros out there! Don't feel like you are rude, I am from texas and a little redneck thought are welcome. I got started when I bought a lathe at a garage sell, and took it home. Made a bat with it just goofing off. Had a really good time learning. The motor burned up on me the next day so I bought me a brand new lathe and, hang on for the ride,,,,,Here we go!!!! Oh and thanks for the guys showing vids on youtube,,,,thats where I learned the captive ring trick. Everyone was impressed!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 46
Dang, three weeks into the Vortex and you're already doing captive rings? You're ahead of me, Zack. :thumb: All three are nice-looking pieces.

Sounds like you got pulled into the Abyss hard like a lot of us. What lathe did you get?

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Good show, starting out with pics and all. :clap:

Well I did go to college for metal working on lathes, but this is so much more fun. Metal don't have diffrent wood grains like wood,,,,, Anyway I bought a Central Machinery lathe from Harbor freight. It is a 12 by 36 with an indexing head. Might not be the best but it will get me started. Thanks for the compliment. I could use lots of them becouse wood is much different than metal. I hope I can stay up to you guys standards!!!

If that's the lathe I'm thinking of, there's been some good stuff turned on them. It's not a Robust American Beauty, but it spins wood and provides a place to hold a chisel. That's all you really need. :thumb:

Wellcome Zack, I think we can learn more from you, than the way around.
Think you are a natural talent. Great work!!
Ad

Thanks

Thanks very much for all the compliments. I hope to learn alot from you all. Here is another bowl on a pedistool I made, and a piece that hit me in the head.
LOL, I was turning it using a face plate. I have ordered a 4 jaw chuck and they sent me the wrong spindle adapter but hope I get the right one soon. Oh and yes they hurt when they hit you in the head!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 20
Thanks

Thank you every one for your compliments. I will show more of what I make later in the weekend. Finally going to get a day off, and hopefully can spend it on that lathe. I got 88 lbs of wood in the other day and looking foward to seeing what the wood wants to be.

Welcome to the family Zack! Nnice looking turnings! You are ahead of me - I've never even attempted captive rings - and have to admit I really have no idea how to turn them. Always something else to learn! Have fun with it - looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Thanks steve

Thanks Steve. I finally have a good long weekend off this weekend, and a big nice chunk of white oak begging me to try to make my first winged bowl. I hope it turns out but we will see. I will post the pictures of the failure or the triumph later this weekend. So get ready to laugh, cry , or give a high five.