Update on Dad's Knife

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
A month or so ago I posted some pics of a brisket knife I made for my dad. Here's the thread. Since then, I've done a bit more.

First, my buddy Pete Simmons did a bit of laser engraving on the blade...

Desert Ironwood Benny-Q Knife 4 - 800.jpg

And a closer look, showing his name and my initials...

Desert Ironwood Benny-Q Knife 5 - 800.jpg

Then I bodged together a case for it to go in. Several things went wrong in the process of making it, and my original plan for a dovetailed sliding lid didn't work out due to my own lack of planning. It's not my finest woodworking by any means, but I suspect Dad will see right past that. (Still, I think I should stick to round work.) ;)

The case is walnut and maple...

Knife Case - 01 800.jpg

The lid slides off...

Knife Case - 02 800.jpg

A bit better shot of the curly maple top...

Knife Case - 03 800.jpg

The recess inside is flocked with black velvet...

Knife Case - 05 800.jpg

And the inside of the top also has black velvet glued to it...

Knife Case - 04 800.jpg

Many thanks go out to Pete for yet another great laser job. The engraving will make the knife that much more special for my dad. When I asked Pete how much I owed him for the work, he said to just put it in the FamilyWoodworking fund. So, next time we're collecting donations, I'll be dropping some extra money in the hat...from Pete. :thumb:

Beautiful, Vaughn!!! :thumb:

I have two questions. First, I know that it was discussed before, but where did you find the knife kit? Second, how exactly did you create the knife-shaped recess in the box? I'd love to do something like this for my brother-in-law.

Thanks!!

- Keith

Beautiful

Vaughn - I only added a tiny accent, YOU made the beautiful knife and now the box.

I have to tell you I was more than a little nervous first spraying your knife with the coating I laser bond to the steel, but then hitting it with the laser.

With the laser there is very seldom a chance to correct mistakes so I was very worried about destroying this work of art gift for you Dad. You would never believe how many times I checked the spelling and then asked my wife to check it again.

Everything came out great and I am glad to be able to help.

What a Great Gift for your Dad!

Vaughn.....Very, very well done sir! Your Dad will love it!

Folks....if you haven't seen Pete's work first hand, you should. He did some laser work for me that we cherish!

Well, since this is not spinny stuff it's not covered by my blanket "renwable well done Vaughn" post. Therefore, and without further hesitation,
Well done Vaughn!:clap:

...I have two questions. First, I know that it was discussed before, but where did you find the knife kit? Second, how exactly did you create the knife-shaped recess in the box? I'd love to do something like this for my brother-in-law.

Thanks!!

- Keith
Keith, the knife blade came from www.texasknife.com. I added the desert ironwood handle (some of Barry Richardson's wood) but Texas Knife also sells knife scales.

For the recess, I first glued up the pieces that make up the middle of the box (everything except the top and the bottom slices of maple), then I cut out the shape with a jig saw. Once I glued the bottom in it, the hole became a recess. To make the "step" in the recess that keeps the blade of the knife level, I used part of the waste from the jig saw cut, trimmed to thickness on the bandsaw. I cut the wider oval part around the handle (for grabbing it) with repeated passes with a Forstner bit in the drill press. A router would have been better, but I was afraid I'd mess it up, and I knew I could make it work with the drill press.

To fill the gaps (from saw kerf and sloppy cutting) I used Bondo. The Bondo gave me a good uniform surface to apply the flocking to.

Here's a shot that I lightened a bit to better show the various recesses...

Knife Case - 06 800.jpg