Handles with care.

What size lathe did you use for these? Would you mind recommending what tools and lathes would be best if doing smaller work like handles?

Thanks in advance

What size lathe did you use for these? Would you mind recommending what tools and lathes would be best if doing smaller work like handles?

Thanks in advance
I've done some on a Jet 1236 with standard turning tools - roughing gouge and spindle gouge. Pretty straight forward. As Chas said, the most time is spent making sure the taper fits the socket.

Mike

[from left to right: bocote, cherry, mahogany, bloodwood, ebony, oak, mahogany, maple, zebrawood, wenge, walnut]

Attachments

• Chisels-002.jpg
    Chisels-002.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 11

My lathe is in fact a fairly heavy duty machine, (1hp elect.VS, early picture of it attached)
Just like motorised transport as long as it provides wheel rotation it will do the job.
You can always do miniature work on a large machine, not visa-versa.

Tools as mentioned by Mike are just the standard everyday users, I find that once you have found a comfortable tool rack of users it is much easier to carry on using those tools. Things like handles I consider as everyday work sizes, only if doing something to fit on a dime would I bother to look for smaller tools, and even then they will not be much different to the norm.

Attachments

• DSC01760[1].jpg
    DSC01760[1].jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC01822.JPG
    DSC01822.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01823.JPG
    DSC01823.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 13
Chas, every time I see that picture of the little goblet, I smile in amazement. :D Ready to be parted off with a hatpin. :p

Mike / Chas,

Thank you both for the guidance. Haven't tried any turning since the mid '70s on my dad's Shop Smith and that was just truing up some speed skating wheels. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.