for once I was in the right place at the right time

Dale Johnson

Down visiting my neighbor's son at his shop. On the way out the door I made the comment that one day I was going to get rid of my old Craftsman bandsaw and buy a good one like the Powermatic 44 he had sitting by the door. He told me that one was just in the way and helped me load it. 14" throat and 9" depth of cut. He decided to upgrade to 17" saws.

Attachments

• DSCF0733 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0733 (Small).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 94
Great deal Dale. Nice son you have there! ;)

DT

Oop's I didn't read it too well. Nice Neighbors son! :eek:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Congrats! I love hearing stories like this. Usually, just a great deal is good enough but, outright theft? That rocks!

Yeah! that's cool when it works out! The fathert in law of a friend of mine used to be a carpenter, he retired some years ago and what was left from his workshop was a cast iron frame great vintage bandsaw.

He told me I could have it for free if I paid the transport to my home, I was real happy. Can you imagine my dissapointment when I measured it and it was too tall for my workshop headroom. :(:(

Dale, that is one great saw, good for you! :thumb:

Toni.......... you could have dug a pit, a hole in the ground, for the saw to stand in, I've seen it done that way in other shops.

Nice story and a nicer tool! Happy bandsawing!

Someone needs to take away Toni's shop license - there is always room for a free tool, especially if it is one that will get lots of use! :D

You let him help you load it? Man, as soon as he'd said yes, I would have found some kind of superpower strength and picked that thing up and loaded it myself. :D

Congrats on your good timing and good fortune. Thats a very sweet saw.

Someone needs to take away Toni's shop license - there is always room for a free tool, especially if it is one that will get lots of use! :D

Well Mark... You're right, but maybe you don't have a SWMBO like mine!!:D:D

First SHE MUST BE OBEYED, and later on SHE MIGHT BE CONVINCED, LURED,BEGGED,IMPLORED,PROMISED, and so on ( I'm running out of vocabulary here). to let you do something.:(:(

Stu. Yes I thought about the hole as well but it would have been about 30cm depth, so I would have to use the saw kneeling on the floor, as the saw is still available, I keep thinking in possible solutions such as shortening it ( for instance).:)