BOW European

Travis White

I tried a little different design with this pen. I could not get the CA finish on this pen perfect even tough I tried about 6 times. There is two small areas where the CA has a dull look to it. Maybe someone can help me with that. Other than that it's OK.
DSC04851.JPG

What do you think about it?

Looks familiar. :rofl:
Often times I don't even put a finish on olive wood. Has a nice feel all by itself and takes a nice sheen with fine grit sanding. I use Micro Mesh up to the 12000 grade then do a final buff with an old hunk of wool blanket material. Other times I have put different finishes on with no problems. I have used Myland's, Deft spray laquer and others. Never have used CA on olive wood. You might try a caranuba base wax.

Travis I suspect your dull light spots are caused from heat buildup while polishing. I experienced this and solved it by using one of Russ Faifield's tips of applying a liberal coat of BLO immediately after applying the CA, do it quickly before the CA has a chance to dry. I have had much better success using this method.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Travis I suspect your dull light spots are caused from heat buildup while polishing. I experienced this and solved it by using one of Russ Faifield's tips of applying a liberal coat of BLO immediately after applying the CA, do it quickly before the CA has a chance to dry. I have had much better success using this method.

What is BLO?

Bob, do you have Russ' video saved on his CA/BLO method? I recently dumped mine. Vaughn is asking about this in another thread.