Getting More Ray Fleck from QSO

Alex Reid

I needed a a few pieces that have ray fleck to match the legs of my end table I am currently making. I had one 2x2 that I could mill to dimension but it didn't quite have enough ray fleck distinction in it.

Not quite enough ray fleck
qso1.jpg

So I decided to get more out of it by using a little cut up method I read about.

End grain view showing where to cut for better distinction.
qso2.jpg

The tip is to cut to the angle so the end grain is 100% QS.

The result
qso3.jpg

BTW here is the cabinet glued up. I am making the drawer now. Think I'll put an abony pull on it.

Glued up
cabinet1.jpg

Drawer rails
cabinet2.jpg

Al,

Once I saw the bottom of the future leg stock I could see how that would work. That cabinet IS looking nice. I really like the authentic dovetailed front cap rail. (and a sneak peek into your chisel cabinet. :D Looks like some nice ones.) Are you planning on an Oak top? Look forward to seeing this completed.

Regards,

Great pics, and even a better job. I can't wait to see it finished!:thumb:

BTW. What is that ¿buda? statuete next to your chisel cabinet? Some sort of woodworking godess?

You see... these are the questions you get when you post pics of pieces in your shop without paying attention what is on the background!:)

Stu hope the leg is well on the heal. :wave:

Lee there will be ano oak top but unfortunately it will be flatsawn timber cause that's all I got.

Toni that's my shop mascot collecting dust in the corner there. I think he is a samurai though, not a buddha.