Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Huh? They're doing what?

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
So on Feb. 17th, 2009, "Full Power" Television stations will stop broadcasting in analog, you must have a TV that supports Digital television or use/purchase a set-top converter. What are you planning to do? Just curious...

More info at www.DTV.gov.

Last edited:
Just like Elvis has been sighted in all the lower 48 states of the US since his supposed death......Just like man supposedly walked on the moon.....they are supposedly going to switch to digital television.....

I'll believe it when I get my tax rebate.:D

We are on cable...the LOML has already ordered the coupon for the converter for the tv in the bedroom and the one we use in the 5th wheel.

I've always heard that cable and/or satellite customers are already watching digital, and any TV that works now will work in the future. If that's not true, somebody straighten me out and I'll start shopping. I need my stories. :eek:

So on Feb. 17th, 2009, "Full Power" Television stations will stop broadcasting in analog, ....

... IN THE USA.

In Canada their is no mandated deadline.

My options

a) well my TV is 10-12 years old anyway and I wouldn't mind a nice 32" LCD
b) do nothing. We mostly only watch DVDs and Tapes anyway. I can't remember the last time I've watched broadcast TV here. The kids have watched TVO a few times (local PBS-like outfit).

My hope is to watch less TV...but our phone and internet are bundled with cable to make it cheaper...so I guess I will need to get one of those coupons? I don't wan't to buy a big flat screen, if I did I would feel an obligation to watch it more since I spent $$ on it. Right now our newest TV was a wedding gift in 1999 27" RCA.

... IN THE USA.

Correct, USA only, unless your close enough to pickup a broadcast.:)

My hope is to watch less TV...but our phone and internet are bundled with cable to make it cheaper...so I guess I will need to get one of those coupons? I don't wan't to buy a big flat screen, if I did I would feel an obligation to watch it more since I spent $$ on it. Right now our newest TV was a wedding gift in 1999 27" RCA.

Nope, no need for the converter, your cable company will still provide the analog signal to you. You could go ahead and request the coupon and have it on hand if you do get rid of the cable. Dont' know if they expire or not.

I've always heard that cable and/or satellite customers are already watching digital, and any TV that works now will work in the future. If that's not true, somebody straighten me out and I'll start shopping. I need my stories. :eek:

You should be fine with cable or satellite for now. I would suspect at some point they will change once many of the older tv's start to go out and everyone has newer HDTVs.

You should be fine with cable or satellite for now. I would suspect at some point they will change once many of the older tv's start to go out and everyone has newer HDTVs.
Dunno about satellite, but the cable companies are obligated (by the same law that's causing this) to provide analog on 'basic cable' until 2012 (IIRC). For most cable systems that's everything below channel 100...unless your TV or VCR is really old (like pre-1990 or so), no worries.

Dunno about satellite, but the cable companies are obligated (by the same law that's causing this) to provide analog on 'basic cable' until 2012 (IIRC). For most cable systems that's everything below channel 100...unless your TV or VCR is really old (like pre-1990 or so), no worries.

Looks like I will be ok for 4 more years:thumb:...woops that almost sounds like a political post.:eek::p

Actually the whole DTV thing had our cable company removing channels etc. so they "could provide expanded service to their (digital) customers." (you need their box to get digital services - for an additional charge per tv set) With two price increases last year, and the huge potential for more hanky panky from them next year we did an assessment of what we watched for a few weeks. It was an interesting process and quite surprising. Turns out we won't miss out on a whole lot without cable.:rolleyes: Anything we find we just can't live without, we can pick up on DVD.

So, long story to say we're dropping cable and going with OTA (Over The Air) TV - just like I grew up with.:thumb:

Wes

Naturally we have to change our ISP as well.:doh:

I'm a 'mostly' satisfied Directv customer. Only certain technical hiccups with my Tivo make me hedge my answer to 'mostly'. That being said, I wouldn't mind a new flat screen, but it just isn't in the budget. Not a large one for the living room at any rate. I'm planning on a directivo in the shop for my own viewing and listening (directv has XM channels available at no charge) pleasure, so the family will enjoy more space on the house tivo.
I suspect, however that once I get the roof done (had to be a roof comment these days, or I know several folks would put one in just 'because') and I'm out in the shop, my viewing time will be decreasing.

I've always heard that cable and/or satellite customers are already watching digital,

No, not necessarily true. To watch digital TV you need a TV that can tune in the digital signal. If you have an older TV you may be watching a digital feed that has been converted to analog signal.

After 20+ years of faithful service I replaced my old RCA a couple of weeks ago. I found several channels that my old TV would not pick up. They were true digital channels/HD broadcasts. My old TV even with the box wasn't able to see them.

and any TV that works now will work in the future.

If you are on cable and (I assume) dish they can/will covert the signal to analog. For how long? As long as they can make money at it would be my guess.

If you are on cable and (I assume) dish they can/will covert the signal to analog. For how long? As long as they can make money at it would be my guess.

That's the hanky panky I was referencing. The writing is the wall with our cable co. I suspect "Basic cable" will be the analog only set-up and "Standard cable" will be forced to upgrade to their digital boxes.

Wes

Well I voted for the nothing option because I have satellite. But what I should do is knock the satellite dish off the house, take it and the TV out in the garden, and pump a couple 12 guage rounds into both of them. It would be a very gratifying feeling and a great stress reliever. At least until my wife found out I did it :bang::crash: .

Well I voted for the nothing option because I have satellite. But what I should do is knock the satellite dish off the house, take it and the TV out in the garden, and pump a couple 12 guage rounds into both of them. It would be a very gratifying feeling and a great stress reliever. At least until my wife found out I did it :bang::crash: .
I voted, and feel, the same way.... except.... There are many shows I do like to watch and most are only available on cable/satellite. Many of the HGTV programs for instance (we can't get DIY from our local cable subscriber). My wife and I love the old movies too.

What would be nice (though it will probably never happen - insert CoC violating rant here) is ala carte service from the cable companies. It torques my shorts that I have to pay for things like ESPN, MTV, foreign language stations, and shopping channels when I never watch them. If I only had to pay for the 12 or so channels I normally watch I would be a lot happier.:D

....that I have to pay for things like ESPN, MTV, foreign language stations, and shopping channels when I never watch them. If I only had to pay for the 12 or so channels I normally watch I would be a lot happier.:D

I totally agree with you Rennie!! I used to have 5 channels programed into the remote that I could push one button and jump around each of them. That was the original remote which has since died and the "universal" remote doesn't have that feature. I do watch ESPN (ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK), but MTV, VH1, Etc. will be blocked very soon so my daughter can't watch them.