My Ride to Work Today

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Here's what I took to work today...

Interop%25202008%2520-%252008%2520600.jpg

Nicely appointed (she was a hired booth bunny)...

Interop%25202008%2520-%252018%2520600.jpg

With food waiting for us...

Interop%25202008%2520-%252024%2520600.jpg

Comfy seating for everyone (that's the flight attendant standing in the back)...

Interop%25202008%2520-%252025%2520600.jpg

A bit faster than my SUV - Burbank to Las Vegas in about 45 minutes...

Interop%25202008%2520-%252026%2520600.jpg

With no terrorist-proof door on the cockpit...

Interop%25202008%2520-%252003%2520600.jpg

And proof I was there, in a rare ponytail shot...

Interop%25202008%2520-%252007%2520600.jpg

Left home at about 7:00 AM, worked a full day in Vegas, and was back home by about 7:00 PM.

This was hands-down the nicest plane I've flown on. The seating is very flexible. There is very comfy seating for 12 or 13 people, and I think there are about 6 beds (in two separate cabins) that can be made out of the seats and tables. Other goodies included two lavatories, 4 or 5 flat screen monitors showing your trip info and maps for the area you are over, DirecTV satellite television, DVD player, multiple channels of music, and access to the luggage compartment from the passenger area. And it was cool being able to stand behind the pilots in the cockpit and get a guided tour of the instrument panel while we were underway.

I've got one more trip out and back. I go back to Vegas tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, but I'll stay until Thursday after the trade show before coming home.

Vaughn, if there is a possibility for me for such a ride, I would love it, very good looking lady's, boy you are really lucky. Enjoy it Vaughn.
Ad :wave:

So, all in all it was cheaper to shuttle you guys to the confab each day, compared to putting you all up in hotels and paying for dinners etc., right?

Sure would be the way to go to work every day eh :D :thumb:

Well, your picture says you were there, but I don't see any curlies on the floor ..... so.....I don't know.......Wait, that carpet looks familiar! :rofl::rofl:

Nice ride!:thumb: Nicer bunny:D

No that carpet doesn't look familiar yet! But two weeks from now if he shows shots of his shop and the carpet matches these pictures, welllllllllll :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Nice ride Vaughn as well as traveling companions.

Yeah, you do suck. I too flew to another city to work yesterday. Detroit to St. Louis and back which is about twice as far as your commute. Out of bed at 4:30 for a 6:50 flight, back on a 5:00 flight putting me into Detroit at 7:30 but we had to wait for the ground crew and we came into one of the end gates so I had to take the tram back to the center of the terminal, pay for parking and then walk to my car. Finally got home about 8:45. On the way out, the plane was about the same size as yours (OK, maybe a little bigger but it was one of those regional jets), but with probably 8x as many people. On the way back we got a full size plane and I did get to fly first class, which meant I got a snack of chips and a Twix and a seat that was sized for a normal person instead of a child. But still almost as uncomfortable. So yeah, you suck! :D

Vaughn...I wonder if you will ever be able fly commercial again? I used to fly out every week for work...don't miss it at all Looks like you had a great commute. :thumb:

so stu, i could hire a booth bunny for about the same price as one of randy's monster rigs??? hum.....randy includes instructions with his stuff....sounds like a better deal...

In all my travels over the years, I did get to fly the corporate jet a few times - though a bit smaller than yours. It is a really nice set-up especially boarding and deplaning. Your ride looks very nicely appointed - ours didn't have room for an attendant - or bathroom:eek:.
I suspect everyone will be better rested and more productive commuting in versus staying at a hotel. Plus, it sounds cooler to say you just popped in via private jet.:D:thumb: Very wise decision by the boss from the looks of it.

I hope the show goes well - have fun!
Wes

Vaughan, pardon my utter ignorance, but what is a "hired booth bunny" and what is it that one does?

Naively yours,
Ken

Ken, Stu already gave the proper definition.

Let me illustrate it with an example. A number of years ago I was at a computer trade show... I think it was the Atlanta Linux Showcase, but I'm not entirely sure.
As I was cruising through the booths one afternoon, looking at various geeky computer hardware and software offerings, I turned a corner and found a very large crowd.

One vendor had contracted with Hooters, and had 3 or 4 Hooters waitresses in "uniform" working at their booth.. They had brought in a huge pile of chicken wings and were busy handing out free Hooters Chicken wings to the crowd. As well, the ladies were smiling and posing for photos with attendees.

Now, none of these waitresses new the first thing about whatever it was that company was selling. They were not there to have intelligent conversations with potential customers. They were there to draw a crowd.

What was particularly funny was when the Hotel management came around and shut them down, as handing out chicken wings from Hooters (ie: "meal" food) violated the exclusive food vending contract that the hotel had. :doh:

Now if you want Booth Bunnies to the extreme, look at the E3 conferences, where models in skimpy costumes (costumes to match characters in the computer games they are pushing) are everywhere. (No, I don't work in the gaming industry, but I have a friend who does.)

Boy Vaughn, looks like you got to ride in style.

I used to fly a lot when I was a Safety Coordinator for the railroad. Several times a week I was flying somewhere's. One of most memorable flights was out to see a railroad crew working in Thedford, Nebraska. If you look that town up on the map you will see its in the exact center of the state, and in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway as I was in the Denver airport waiting at the very far end of the terminal where all the little puddle jumpers leave for the small towns and cities on the prairie,this woman asked me where I was headed. I said "Thedford, Nebraska," and she said,"oh, you're the one."

Ten minutes later these two kids who were younger then me asked for me and then said "Grab your poo," only they did not say poo, they used the redneck term and so I followed them to the 4 seater plane, where they took up two seats, I took up one,and my luggage took up the other. These kids were actually the pilot and co-pilot. When we finally landed in Thedford it was on a grass runway with a single red light on a tower. No terminal, no gate agent, just a grass trip and a hanger or two. It was quite the ride, but definately no Booth Bunnies!! :)

On another trip I flew up to Thunder Bay, Ontario on a big plane. Then took a puddle jumper into Hearst I think it was, then took a rental car from there 3 hours more, parked it at some roadcrossing and had to wait for a freight train to pick me up, then took that 3 hours west into the bush to catch up with another railroad crew. That was interesting as well. Talk about planes,trains and automobiles.:)