Email

Stu

Thanks for the great explanation. While we should remain open to as many people as possible, I don't think we should inconvenience the guys who have to keep this place running and the majority of users just to accommodate the desires of a few.

Jay

Thanks Jay.

I have no illisions that if a troll wants in, they will be able to do it and cause trouble, but this one small extra step, will be enough to keep out the majority of trolls, they usually don't want to have to work at it.

I know it is a slight inconvinence for people who only use a web-based mail address, but really is it such a big deal? It's not like we are asking you to dig a 50' ditch 1' wide and 2' deep........ :D

Cheers!

2) If, you only have a "Web Based" e-mail then we ask that you contact us using the "Contact Us" link below (which was busted, but now is fixed) and we will then make you an account, and notify you of the details. Once you log on, please change the password that we made for you, to one only you know.

Now if anyone here signed up with a normal e-mail address, and would like it changed to a web based one, please send one of the Admin (Marty, Vaughn or myself) a PM with the web based e-mail you would like to change to, and we will do so, we will also make a note of your normal e-mail address.

Cheers!

Thank you kind sir!!!!! That is more than fair. Allen

Thanks Jay.

I have no illisions that if a troll wants in, they will be able to do it and cause trouble, but this one small extra step, will be enough to keep out the majority of trolls, they usually don't want to have to work at it.

I know it is a slight inconvenience for people who only use a web-based mail address, but really is it such a big deal? It's not like we are asking you to dig a 50' ditch 1' wide and 2' deep........ :D

Cheers!

Cheers?

I thought it was a big deal.

I tried and tried to get in touch with one of you with no luck. I even tried other forums. Then I had to deal with Verizon on the phone for over 1/2 an hour just to get a real person whom I couldn't understand because of their accent. After mentioning "Home Security" over and over I managed to talk to a person who had no idea what a pop mail email account was or how to find my account, much less my password. I had to give up but tried again the next day. After the same 1/2 hour rigmarole I finally got to somebody who could help me.

This all had to be done in order to access a internet forum that any can get into regardless of what this joint wants to do to keep out the 'trolls'. None of the other BBs I frequent require non web based email acct. Not one.

I have spent well over an hour just to be able to post these 2 posts and am not happy with the responses given.

So I guess you guys can just keep patting yourselves on the back about what a great job you are doing and I'm sure everything will turn out right. :rolleyes:

BTW Tod, thank you for the post on this subject. It seem as you still have an open mind and at least listen.

nic

Nic. Sorry you had troubles getting here, but am glad you are here now.:thumb:

I remember your name from Smc.

Welcome to the forum:thumb:

Steve:D

Yeah, "Cheers" is the way I've been signing e-mail and stuff since I got on the net in about 1996, just my way of signing out, hope that is OK with you.

I thought it was a big deal.

I understand that you thought it was a big deal, and to you, it certainly would be a big deal. I very much doubt this will make you feel any better, but I spend 3 to 4 hours a day dealing with "things" that come up here on this board, I'm not complaining, I'm just relating to your frustrations. We are all new here at running this software, we are trying our level best, ask my wife, or Vaughn's wife how many sleepless nights we have spent getting this place up and running, and the frustrations on trying to make it work are real, so I can relate, and again, all I can do is apologize for the trouble you had, it was not planned it is not personal, and it was not intended, and we are very, VERY sorry that you did have trouble signing up.

I tried and tried to get in touch with one of you with no luck. I even tried other forums.
I take it this was before we realized that we had one setting wrong in the admin CP, the one we fixed a few days ago, the one we apologized for being not set right..... that one?

As for other forums, if you tried to get hold of any of us staff here at FW via SMC, we are out of luck, we have all, with the exception of Steve Clardy (I think) been locked out of our accounts, they changed our pass words on us, so we are still there :rolleyes: but we have no access to our accounts. To be honest, since embarking on this trip set up FW, I've had very little time to visit other forums, most of them I have set to NOT get an e-mail from when I get a PM, as I get hundreds of e-mail daily at work.

Then I had to deal with Verizon on the phone for over 1/2 an hour just to get a real person whom I couldn't understand because of their accent. After mentioning "Home Security" over and over I managed to talk to a person who had no idea what a pop mail email account was or how to find my account, much less my password. I had to give up but tried again the next day. After the same 1/2 hour rigmarole I finally got to somebody who could help me.

I'm really sorry that you had trouble with your ISP, I can relate, as we went through a similar thing recently with our up grading to a higher speed ADSL, and we had massive problems with it, I had to do all of that same stuff, but in Japanese, so I can really hear you on that one.

Again, all I can do is apologize, and thank you for your tenacity and patience, as it led us to fix a problem we did not know existed, and has brought this subject up for discussion again.

This all had to be done in order to access a internet forum that any can get into regardless of what this joint wants to do to keep out the 'trolls'. None of the other BBs I frequent require non web based email acct. Not one.

Don't know how I'm supposed to respond to this one....?

I have spent well over an hour just to be able to post these 2 posts and am not happy with the responses given.

What would make you happy Nic? If you would like the "no web based e-mail on sign-up" policy to change, why not change it, start a poll, if you get enough votes to change it we will change it, that is the way things are done around here, we are member run, so take the bull by the horns and do something about it. We had a vote on this before, and at the time, the members voted for not letting web-based e-mail in, with out an extra step.

I think there have been quite a few people who have contacted us with a valid reason why they want to use their web based e-mail account, and we have signed them up. If you would like to know the truth, it is a lot more work for us, as we have to create the accounts and then send out e-mail etc, but, we set it up as a simple line of defense, this was not the choice of one guy, but of the group.

So I guess you guys can just keep patting yourselves on the back about what a great job you are doing and I'm sure everything will turn out right. :rolleyes:

Well Nic, you are wrong, we don't go round patting ourselves on the back, we are trying our best to build something here that is different than other places, YOU have a say here, and YOU are saying it, and your post will not go "POOF" just because YOU don't agree with a certain rule or policy, YOU can make the rule or policy change, as we are member run, which means all of us give our time and effort to make this a better place. I could have easily just ignored you post and went on my day, but I did not want to do that, I think I owe it to the whole board to address you concerns and answer you questions the best I can. My previous answer was short, sorry about that, but I work 14 to 16 hours a day, and we are busy right now, so I don't always get a chance to spend as much time answering questions etc as I would like to, I do my best, and I'm really sorry if that is not good enough for you, but I am trying. I just spent most of my short coffee break answering you questions and addressing you points, I'm fear you will not be happy with my answers, so be it, but they are honest and as truthful as I can make them.

I sure hope you can help us run our site, and contribute to it in many ways, I seem to remember your posts about bandsaws over at SMC.....? MM16 and a 10" saw? very much the set up I'd like to have, so I hope you stick around and forgive us our growing pains.

BTW Tod, thank you for the post on this subject. It seem as you still have an open mind and at least listen.

nic

Yep, that Tod guy is top drawer.

Cheers!

stu, that was well written and as honest as anybody could ask for....
nic, sorry about the pita.......give us a shot we really do want this group to do well and without everybody chipin` in their .02 we`re bound to make mistakes......heck man none of us are computer/internet gurus.....i`m just the bottom of the barrel but i do know a little about woodworkin`:D ..tod

Thank you all for the replys...

I was wondering if this place would be the same as SMC. I was starting to think that this was going to be just another over moderated forum for 'special' members only.

I was proven wrong. It looks like members do have a voice.

I will be checking in on a regular basis and hopefully will have something to add to the discussion (other than rants).

:thumb:

nic

I was wondering if this place would be the same as SMC. I was starting to think that this was going to be just another over moderated forum for 'special' members only.

I was proven wrong. It looks like members do have a voice.

I will be checking in on a regular basis and hopefully will have something to add to the discussion (other than rants).

:thumb:

nic

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Nic,

I'm glad you recoginize that we're doing everything we can to make sure this place isn't another 'over-moderated forum'. We've all been the victim of that and have no desire to relive it here.

Help us get through these growing pains, and have a little patience while we make our mistakes. I think the end result will be worth the work.

(Not to mention, I suspect we'll all be occasionally entertained by some of the dumb mistakes we're bound to make...:rolleyes: )

Thanks for sticking around...
- Marty -

Glad to see you keep an open mind, nic. As you've seen, these guys are trying to do the best/right thing. We all are. I don't see that changin'.

Oh, and feel free to rant. That's how we make the place better. Right?