Edison Pens

Pete Simmons

Couple of Baron GoldTi Edison Pens.

The engraving on the box tells the story.

Anybody from Ft Myers area that might have a lead on where I can get another piece of this Morton Bay Fig Tree?

It sure smells sweet when turned and I love to make pens with a story behind the wood.

Attachments

• edisonpen2.jpg
    edisonpen2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 54
Peter, very unique indeed! Well Done!:thumb:

Reminded me of Bill G. getting some wood from a tree at the White House. Wonder what ever happened with it?

Great Pens Pete!

I took my 5th grade class to Greenfield Village in Dearborn MI yesterday and a big part of the village is Thomas Edison's complex. They brought it board by board from Menlo Park NJ.

Pen Turning

Thanks for all the nice remarks.

I really posted this in response to the recent post that we are getting more off topic posts than woodworking posts.

I make pens all the time but seldom post. Next to some of the beautiful items many of you make my pens are just a small side note of another item that can be done on a lathe.

I have recently started turning pens without using the standard pen mandrel with shaft. I like the method as it is much more accurate. If I get some pictures I will post some info on it.

For now I will say it is done with very accurate bushings which have a 60 degree cone in them. They do Not have a thru hole for a shaft.

Place the bushings in the pen tube (they fit so good that they act as a little air piston), put a 60 degree center in both ends of your lathe. Live on one, dead on the other. Snug them up and turn away. The friction fit of the dead center is enough to drive the turning.

From

John Goodin

over at Penturners

He makes very high quality bushings.

He also has a plastic set that are about 0.005 undersize to use when finishing so as not to get metal contaminates onto the wood. CA also is removed easily from the plastic.