Computer Double Decker Cabinet

Stuart Ablett

We have two computers in the cash register area of the liquor shop, one if for the net, mail etc, the other one runs the computerized cash register system. Counter space is a premium in the shop, so I've got a system where one computer is stacked on the other (both are presently laptops). Each computer sits on a flat piece of wood, like a drawer with no front or back, and you just pull it out to use it, to use the other computer, you push one in, closing the laptop, and pull the other one out. This set up works well, and takes up a LOT less space.

The new system does NOT use a laptop, but a fairly slim computer and keyboard, so I have to redesign the cabinet.

cz-6700.gif cz=6700_sys.gif
That is the system, the cash register is about half the size of the old one, and has a nice touch screen........ more stuff for me to learn :doh:
The new register will not have the keyboard, the keyboard will be on the computer. I'll have to make a keyboard slide that will first pull out, then slide to the left, to allow room for the mouse, well most likely a track ball, as they take up less space.

lots_of_clamps.JPG
This is the new cabinet all glued up, heck I might even paint it, depends on time, I have to have this all ready to go by Friday 9 AM. I'm going to put a power bar inside of the unit, to control the wires that snake everywhere now, and a fan or two for air exchange, as well as drilling holes through the bottom for wires to between the cash register and the computer, now the wires are all run externally, as the goof (NOT ME!!) who designed the original cash register area did not think about running wires :doh: :bang:

No fine furniture here, but it will be an improvement on what we have, and the price is right :D

yep, flat work ;) :rofl::rofl:

Cheers!

hmmmm.. Those clamps look familiar...:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Bet it's good to get back to messin' with wood, eh?

Definately go with a track ball... I used them for years and miss having one with the machines I have now that came with a mouse. (serial connectors went bye bye....:rofl:)

Stu, I'm glad to see that "Necessity" surfaced and required you to do a Flat Work Project, before you forgot how.:thumb:

Ummmm........just one question though, uhhh....are Devout Vortex members really ALLOWED to have that many Clamps in their shop without endangering their Membership?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rennie's right, time for a few more :wave:

I'll have to watch for another sale :D

My wife could not understand why I needed so many clamps, I showed her the pic and said I only had four clamps left, and as this is for the L shop, she approves of me buying so many. Now if I make up a bunch more cabinets of some kind, I will need more clamps.......... right ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Stu, I'm glad to see that "Necessity" surfaced and required you to do a Flat Work Project, before you forgot how.:thumb:

Ummmm........just one question though, uhhh....are Devout Vortex members really ALLOWED to have that many Clamps in their shop without endangering their Membership?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

From my cold dead hands..... :D:D:D :wave:

Thanks Alex

Well, the computer/cash register system we have now is old, and the company that we used to lease it from (at the end of the 5 year lease, we bought the equipment) will no longer provide us with a maintenance contract, so we really have little choice, we need a new system, I've milked this one a long nearly 5 years after the lease was over.

I'm sure she will hate the new double decker cabinet, just because it is new, that is the way she is.

I don't give a hoot :D :wave:

Cheers!

OK, some more pics.........

double_decker_1.JPG double_decker_2.JPG double_decker_3.JPG
To glue the inside track for the keyboard slider on, I had to come up with some inventive way to apply pressure down onto the track, looks silly, I know, but hey, it worked! :D

double_decker_4.JPG
The unit is basically done, I'll put some edge trim on it to cover up the plywood ends. In the above pic, both drawers are closed.

double_decker_5.JPG
The bottom drawer is for the laptop that does net and mail duties.

double_decker_6.JPG
This is the drawer that will hold the computer and the keyboard for the new cash register system, with the keyboard slide, not slide out to the left......

double_decker_7.JPG
keyboard slide, slid out to the left, leaving room for a trackball mouse.

double_decker_8.JPG
Here is the bottom of the unit, the two oval holes are for wires and for air flow, I might have to put another hole in one side for air flow as well, we shall see.
The flat screen monitor will sit on top of the cabinet.

Now I have to mount a power strip inside and then clean up the area that it will be mounted.

Cheers!

Stu,

Can you clarify a bit...

Is this the old or new cash register?

View attachment 20274

Will you have this computer as well as the cash register?

View attachment 20275

Thanks,

Hi Greg

The cash register will be the one in the pics, the only thing is the one we will have will not have a keyboard above the cash drawer, just a cash drawer. Yes we will have a computer attached to the new cash register, it is used for doing invoices for deliveries and such. We will also be getting a "Handy Terminal" which is a hand held bar code reader thing for entering new stock into the system, and taking inventory, now that is all done by hand, and is a time consuming process, this will be MUCH better.

Cheers!

Looking good, Stu.

Could you build a slightly raised board for the track ball to sit on all the time? The keyboard would slide under it when you moved it from the typing position back to the right when closing?

Hi Greg

Yes we will have a computer attached to the new cash register, it is used for doing invoices for deliveries and such.

Cheers!

Will the computer/screen be located somewhere near the register, but not on your box? Is the keyboard and the the mouse for the computer...but not the register?

Will you build another box for the computer with the screen on top?

View attachment 20276

Last edited:
Looking good, Stu.

Could you build a slightly raised board for the track ball to sit on all the time? The keyboard would slide under it when you moved it from the typing position back to the right when closing?

I tried exactly that on another set up, it was very uncomfortable. This is easy, just slide the keyboard to the left, and then move the track ball into position, when done, just push the track ball out of the way (into the cabinet) and slide the keyboard back in place.

The flat screen monitor for the register system computer will sit on top of the cabinet, and a shelf that holds dry cigars etc sits facing out, towards the customers behind the flat screen monitor.

OK, I got the power strip in and the cooling fans..........

SN3D0024.JPG

I need to build some sort of a cover over the fans on the outside of the cabinet. Those two fans will move 32 CFM each, so the computers should stay cool.

SN3D0025.JPG
I also got the track ball, that will replace the mouse, you can see in here in position, beside the keyboard slider.

Cheers!

I just thought I'd better put up a little before shot.........

SN3D0026.JPG SN3D0027.JPG

and the side the customer sees.......

SN3D0028.JPG

Told you it was a mess, maybe you can see why I want to do it a bit better this time around :doh: :wave: