Tiger Maple Box with Custom Hinges

Here's another box I finished today. The last one (sycamore and curly cherry) ended up being bought by a friend of mine who also ordered this one. It's pretty straight forward except I redesigned the hinges so that they have a built in stop. I like the way they turned out as they're a bit thinner and less bulky than the last ones I made. I have to build the dividers tomorrow sometime and then it's off to its new home so I thought I'd post some pics yet tonight. Not the best pictures in the world, but you get the idea.

I opted not to apply any BLO as it would yellow the maple. I shot some water-white lacquer so we'll see how "white" it stays.

Next project: Moser inspired entertainment center. That should keep me busy for some time.

Attachments

• Tiger-Maple-Box-1.jpg
    Tiger-Maple-Box-1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Tiger-Maple-Box-2.jpg
    Tiger-Maple-Box-2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Tiger-Maple-Box-3.jpg
    Tiger-Maple-Box-3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Tiger-Maple-Box-4.jpg
    Tiger-Maple-Box-4.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Tiger-Maple-Box-5.jpg
    Tiger-Maple-Box-5.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 146
Man Jason, you simply don't ever disappoint, do you? That box is another beautiful example of your skills and tastes. Wowsers! :thumb:

That is beautiful work Jason! I love the overall design, and those hinges are awesome. VERY nice stuff...........thanks for sharing it with us! :thumb:

Super wood, great design, the hinge detail....... wow.........

If you have any really bad botched projects, could you post a few pics of them, just so we can feel better :D :rofl:

Thanks for showing us your wonderful work! :thumb:

Cheers!

Nicely done, Jason.

I have never seen any of your other work, but from what the others are saying, this is par for the course for you? You are indeed an incredible talent.

Thanks for sharing.

Most Excellent Again Jason!. :clap:. You also have a great talent for using just the right woods in the right place. BTW how long are planning on being in town? Weather's going to be in the 40's all next week.:D

Most Excellent Again Jason!. :clap:. You also have a great talent for using just the right woods in the right place. BTW how long are planning on being in town? Weather's going to be in the 40's all next week.:D

Oh, sorry I was supposed to respond to you about my trip earlier. First off thanks for the kind words. Second, I'm in town next Thursday all day. I'm actually staying at a friends house in St. John overnight. I have some meetings in the afternoon and a dinner at night, but I could sneak away and meet up with you if it worked out. PM me and maybe we can work something out. I can give you my contact details.

Thanks!

I have never seen any of your other work...

George, please don't take this as trying to toot my own horn, but you can click on my name and go to my photo website. I only say this because I enjoy looking at and taking inspiration from what everyone else builds. I try to check peoples names and see if they have a linked website - a good number do. Typical guy, I guess. I've always liked the picture books :p Anyway, maybe you didn't know you could do this.

Thanks for the kind words.

Nice work!

I love boxes! I've made some hinges from brass and silver, but never really tried wood before. They look great!

Jason, This is a very inspirational design. I saved some pics of your sycamore/cherry box because the hinges were so unique and your dovetail work is outstanding. FWIW I like this "re-designed" hinge a little better. They fit the elegance of the box very well.

Thanks for sharing your work here.