Found a Block Plane

Sean Wright

Can anyone tell me anything about a block plane with the numbers 306-16 cast in it? It resembles a Stanley 60 1/2, but it is wider, heavier, and some parts seem to painted grey rather than the typical black. I wasn't able to find a manufacturer's name anywhere on it.

I tried searching for this model, and I can't seem to find anything on it.

I don't have any pictures yet, but will try to get some soon.

Sean,

Is this any help?

The OP does mention the same numbers on his plane near the throat...

http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php?message_id=22552&submit_thread=1

Greg,

After a closer look, I think I have the same "mystery plane" that the writer of that post has.

The following matches up to the one I have.
Two numbers appear on the underside of the cap: 307 above the hole for
the screw, and 306 below. On the body, the words MADE IN THE USA appear
in the usual spot in front of the adjuster wheel, and the number 306-16
is just to the rear of the mouth.

Thanks for the information!

Yep, sure sounds like a Sears plane. I have one. I just now went out to the shop to confirm the numbers, and mine's got the 306 and 307 as you described. (Mine is all black, though...no gray.) I bought mine new from Sears about 44 or 45 years ago when I was 5 or 6 years old. Part of my first real tool set. I had previously thought a little Stanley block plane I have was the one I had when I was growing up, but last weekend I was digging through some old boxes of stuff, and lo and behold I found it and recognized it as the one I originally bought. I'm guessing the Stanley I thought was my original was acquired from one of my grandfathers, or perhaps my dad.

Mine is in decent shape, with very little light surface rust. The blade looks like it was sharpened by a 12 year old kid with a "whetstone"...me. Might be a candidate for a better blade, but I don't know if the rest of the plane is worth the effort and expense. I recall it was never easy to adjust, but then again, I was a kid, with no guidance. I need to take it apart and see exactly how it works. It may still be a good addition to the till.

Sounds like a Craftsman to me too. Not that there's a thing wrong with that! I have had a couple of Craftsman planes that were as good as any out there. The older ones out there from the 40s and 50s are a fine example of a good plane design. Well made.

Got a pic yet? LA are "the" plane for me. I love 'em!

Jimmy

Yep, sure sounds like a Sears plane. I have one. I just now went out to the shop to confirm the numbers, and mine's got the 306 and 307 as you described. (Mine is all black, though...no gray.) I bought mine new from Sears about 44 or 45 years ago when I was 5 or 6 years old. Part of my first real tool set. I had previously thought a little Stanley block plane I have was the one I had when I was growing up, but last weekend I was digging through some old boxes of stuff, and lo and behold I found it and recognized it as the one I originally bought. I'm guessing the Stanley I thought was my original was acquired from one of my grandfathers, or perhaps my dad.

Mine is in decent shape, with very little light surface rust. The blade looks like it was sharpened by a 12 year old kid with a "whetstone"...me. Might be a candidate for a better blade, but I don't know if the rest of the plane is worth the effort and expense. I recall it was never easy to adjust, but then again, I was a kid, with no guidance. I need to take it apart and see exactly how it works. It may still be a good addition to the till.

Vaughn, I'll bet that a little TLC and that plane will work Great. I have an old Craftsman Rabbet Plane that my Dad bought before I can even remember, and it still works like a charm. I don't know who made the Old Planes for Sears, but they were pretty good planes.:thumb:

Update

Thank you to everyone for the info on my block plane.:thumb:

Take a look in the thread "Grandpa's Planes" for pictures of the 306-16 and some other great finds.