How Would you cut this?

Stuart Ablett

I have this one largish piece of wood, it is Ginko again, it is a "Y" that has the tops cut off, but still has some of the bottom left.

ginko_how_should_i_cut1.jpg
Here is the piece

ginko_how_should_i_cut_backside.jpg
The backside of the piece

ginko_how_cut_deadspot.jpg
There is a dead spot here, which is why I'm thinking of cutting it the way I show below

ginko_how_to_cut1.jpg

OK, the cut lines are in red, the turning axis are in green, what do you think?

Suggestions welcome!!

Hey Bruce, you know me, no waiting around, I already cut it and rough turned it :rolleyes:

I cut it like I showed on the pic, and I think it came out really nice, I have two blanks that will be made into HFs and they both have that nice wavy, flame like crotch wood in them! :headbang:

If I can find them again in my LARGE stacks of stuff, I'll pull them out and get some pics for you! :thumb:

Cheers!

I saw that post. You know me too little too late. What I was hoping was that you would be able to keep part of the Y together, cutting it through the pith and turning a shallow bowl or some platters from it.

Bruce

Well, there are lots more chunks left...........

ginko_left_over_bits.jpg
You can see, especially on the right of this pic, there are a lot of crotches and stuff that Jim saved, should be some interesting wood in there! :D

ginko_big_log.jpg
Then there is this bad boy, we are going to try to slab up most of it in the new year, Jim has a BIG Husky 3120 saw with the Tokyo Log Hog Mk II to go with it

wood_haul_stu_lh.jpg
Me delivering Jim's new mill

wood_haul_stu_jim_lh.jpg
Jim and I with his new mill.

Stay tuned! :D

now that`s a saw! here`s mine from when i was a boy....we heated the ol` farm house with this saw and kid labor;) that`s a 24" bar on it now, the longest that saw ever ran was a 36 and that`s just to scary:eek:
MVC-116S.JPG