figured mahogany table

norman-the furniture show starts the end of oct. , the calendar of events only list through july-try the call for entries.

alex

Aha.......(See, I told you I was too dumb to figure it out).:D I'll take a look there, as I might like to attend that show if it works out. Thanks for the info.:thumb: (I would sure like to see your table in person), and I'm sure there will be other very nice entries there to see too.

Alex, Looks like a fantastic table! and a heck of an undertaking! I've read about that tree before with great interest. I saw David Marks show a piece on one of his shows and tell the story as well. Where did you come by such a large piece of it? Is there any more still out there? Not that I could afford it anyhow:(. What are the plans for the table after the show? Is it a comission? A spec piece? For yourself? Is it designed to knock down? Looks like it might be a challenge to move, once assembled. Also, welcome to the forum! (I've been out of town for a while). Cheers, Barry

most know about the quilted mahogany tree that was cut in 1965 from the1985 fine woodworking story-for those who don't-as far as i know the story goes that only two quilted mahogany trees have been found one in 1890 and this one found in 65 by loggers in the chicibul jungle in honduras ,it was 10 ft. through at the bottom 50 ft. up to the first limb the bark was spiraled so they knew it was figured-they dropped it with axes but it twisted as it fell and landed in a steep ravine, even with two d-7 tractors it couldn't be pulled out ,so they left it and there it stayed for the next 18 years. in 1971 bob novak was running a saw mill out in the jungle when he first heard about a giant mahogany tree stuck in a ravine-in 1983 he went to look for it and found it.
he cut it in half and quartered the halves, he dragged and floated the eight pieces over 200 miles to an old band saw mill. as how i came by the boards i have-iv'e known bob from way back,in 95 he called and told me of a guy selling four large boards and some smaller pieces-as far as how much is still out there, i know of a few boards and a few years back a sculptor went and dug up the stump-breedlove guitars has some cut into backs .(the pic is a breedlove guitar) sorry to go on so long but that's the story.
this table does break down into five pieces and is easy to move -and it is not being made on commission.
unknown.jpg

rounding off the sharp corners
alex

i would love to keep this table for myself-iv'e heard it said that if you can afford your own stuff then your not charging enough...
That's a great quote...I'll have to hold onto that one.

That Breedlove guitar sure looks sweet, too. I know his guitars are fine instruments, but that one would be extra special. Thanks for telling the story behind the wood. (And you sure didn't go on too long, IMHO. Yours was a short post by my standards.) :)

Edward,

Thanks for the story on the quilted mahogany. Very interesting and entertaining. Your table is going to be a beauty for sure. Thanks for sharing.

It might be hard to appreciate how impressive a piece of wood this is from pictures, but it is something else to see. And the base Alex has made for it is equally impressive, again, I'm not sure if those pictures really show the size and scale of things.

that table is awsome
that wood is to die for I have a figured wood since I have the ability to go through 100's a packs of lumber in a month I get what I want when I want for normal flat cut prices. Figured cherry, maple, red and white oak, sapele, mahongany, Jatoba, walnut, ash, soft maple ect you name it if its there I but it. wish I had some Figure mahogany like that but the price just might limit that. looks great
JIM