Not Much, but It's Turning

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been doing bits and pieces of turning, but no major projects are finished yet. (Got a sweet burl bowl in the wings, though. Just have to decide on a base for it.) Last night, though, LOML needed a quick birthday gift for a friend at work, so I whipped together a paper clip bowl. The one I made for LOML a couple months ago has been a big hit at the office.

This one is wormy spalted maple, with Behlen's friction polish. The magnet rings are the "deluxe" ones from Craft Supplies. I bought some of their regular ones, and they are much smaller and weaker.

I intentionally left the walls thick. These things need the weight, since the big magnets are so strong. The one I made for LOML is lighter, and it's almost impossible to remove a paper clip without using two hands.

Spalted Maple Paper Clip Bowl - 01 800.jpg Spalted Maple Paper Clip Bowl - 02 800.jpg

And to make sure she doesn't give it away...it's personalized.

Spalted Maple Paper Clip Bowl - 03 800.jpg

The friend has been lusting for one of these ever since she saw he first one I made, so I suspect no real risk of her giving it away. ;)

:eek: I did a little looking into the year-old eBay order this wood came from, and I'm pretty sure it's sycamore, not maple. Oh well, it's got "maple" woodburned on the bottom of it, so it's maple now. :p

Don't think it's sycamore Vaughn, but maple. But that doesn't matter, it's a very nice gift.
Looks like an artist (someone like van gogh :)) made an artistic painting on the outside of the bowl.

Ad :thumb:

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. :thumb: These a fun little pieces that can be done easily in a single shop session.

There must be someplace cheaper than $6 a magnet!
If there is, I sure haven't found it yet. After trying the smaller ones though, I'm sold on the $6 version. I've sold one of these paper clip bowls at a show (I think I had it priced at $25 or so), and I suspect they will sell pretty easily. I hope to have a few more done before my next show at the end of this month.