A question for the Canadians here

I've had a inquiry form a customer in Toronto about buying one of my shed units.

I'm more than happy to deliver and install it but I was wondering about going through customs and if duty would have to be paid? I guess this might be a bit of a grey area.

Thanks,

patrick

I've had a inquiry form a customer in Toronto about buying one of my shed units.

I'm more than happy to deliver and install it but I was wondering about going through customs and if duty would have to be paid? I guess this might be a bit of a grey area.

Thanks,

patrick
:dunno:Hi patrick; The people to talk to would be the Canadian Border Services, or at least your customer should talk to them.

My understanding is if the item/shed was manufactured in the US, it would not be subject to import duties, according to the NAFTA.

All that not withstanding the importer (your customer) would be responsible for the GST & PST. The shed $ US cost would be converted to CDN $'s and the customer would have to pay a Goods & Services tax of 8% and a Provincial Sales Tax dependant on the province in which he resides. Ontario is currently 5%.

I think your customer would have to meet you at the border to self broker the shed across, or pay the brokerage fee to a company that is in that business.

Cheers mate.

I hadn't considered the tax part. i've been playing phone tag with them so far so when I actually speak to them I'll mentioned the GST / PST issue.

If you order something from the US and it's sent to you via mail do you get charged taxes on delivery?

If you order something from the US and it's sent to you via mail do you get charged taxes on delivery?

Sure do. AND usually a brokerage fee as well.

Items priced below $20 usually sail through with no fee though, in my experience.

I know that folks in the US are "officially" supposed to remit taxes when they order things from other states. Aren't you also charged tax/duty/whatnot if you order stuff from Canada or overseas?

Hi again Patrick; Art has pretty much summed up the situation.
While I have had some items over $100 sneak through the PO with no taxes or brokerage charged, I received a parcel yesterday valued at $58.80 CDN. The mail guy delivered it to the house and waited for $2.94 GST, $4.70 PST, and $5.00 brokerage, $12.64 in total.

I always specify delivery by USPS. Canada Post charges a flat $5.00 brokerage, whereas the couriers gouge the h*** out of us.

I paid over $39.00 brokerage for an item valued at $100.06 to the courier. The eBay seller mistakenly sent my parcel by courier. C'est la vie.

Purchasing from Canada

Golden Greetings
I had to travel to Spokane to purchase a specialized tool not shipped nor available in Canada. Any tools I had with me I had prepared and registered at the border(Can) before going into the States.(for a Timberframe Conference). When I returned to Canada at the border I showed all receipts, filled out one form, and since the manufacturer was from USA, no duty was due other than GST & PST. It is my belief when an item is over $1600, then you will require a broker when an item is shipped into Canada.

I am also hooped when I brought the tool into Canada, since the warranty does not extend into Canada.
Enjoy Canada EH!
Irv

Thanks for all the replies.

I emailed the CBS and explained the situation so I'm hoping for a response some time next week. I totally understand the GST thing as I'm from Britain, land of the dreaded VAT.

I just hope that all the possible taxes etc dont get in the way of a potential sale. I'd take the family along for the delivery and get a nice write off on a mini vacation. I haven't been to Toronto since 1980.