Razr cell phone questions

Jeff Horton

Some of you are bound to have a Motorola Razr Phone? If so I have a couple of questions. I am looking for something new and I don't want to have to carry a PDA with my phone. Sick of Treo.

Do it have Data book where I can put in appointments and veiw them? Will it alarm for events? Can you interface it with your computer. So that you can enter it on the computer and they sync it with your phone?

Address book. Same questions, can you enter it on your phone and your computer and sync the two?

I don't have the Razr, I have the Samsung Blackjack II. It does everything you noted and AT&T has a $100 rebate available on them right now.

I just retired my Razr two days ago. After two or three years of service, I think the speaker was blown, since all the audio was getting more and more distorted. Despite that, it was a good phone and I liked it. To answer your questions...

I never used it, but I believe the Razr has a feature within the Calendar application that allows you to schedule appointments and such. You can set up separate alarms for multiple events. It interfaces with a PC via a standard mini USB cable, although to sync you need to also have the Motorola software. I bought a copy of the software on eBay, and ended up with a bootlegged copy of an older version. I was still able to upgrade it and use it, but it was a major undertaking to get it updated, and in the end, I was still running an illegal copy, so I eventually stopped using it. (I still installed the free Razr drivers on my XP machines, so I could use the USB cable to charge the phone.)

I replaced my Razr with a Blackberry Pearl 8110. (Not much bigger than the Razr.) My local AT&T store had a good sale price on the Blackberry. I don't really intend to use many of the PDA features, but the sound quality and reception -- the main things I need in a phone -- were very good in my area, so I went for it. One feature I'm pretty jazzed about is the built-in GPS navigation. (It costs an extra $10 per month, but I figure I'll give it a try, and if I don't get my money's worth from it, I'll cancel that feature.) I have a nav system in my Lexus and love it, but with the Blackberry, now I'll have one in my pickup truck, too. It's also handy for finding nearby stores or services like banks. And unlike the DVD-based system in the Lexus (which was current as of the year 2000), the one in the Blackberry is updated every 3 months, so it should stay much more current. Another major difference is the nav system in the phone also shows traffic conditions -- an important feature here in the land of freeways and idiots.

Not encouraged by what I read about the Rarz's address book and all. But everyone seems to like them as a phone. I have a Treo now and I don't want another touch screen phone unless it is clam shell style. I learned the hard way that carrying in your pocket with keys or a knife will ruin the screen. I have one laying here that works perfect except of the orange screen you can't read. So not really interested in a BlackJack even though it would do what I want.

The Treo will do much more than I want or need. I am tired of phone on hip and banging into things with it. Plus as a Home Inspector I feel better with it in my pocket. Always afraid it will fall off a roof or out of my holster in an attic and never know I lost it.

Last edited:
My son had a Razr v3 on Verizon and it was not very useful for that because of how Verizon locks down the phone to force you to use the fee based network to move data to/from the phone.

I used one for several months after switching jobs and giving up a Blackberry. Mine was on AT&T network and it was able to sync via bluetooth with my Mac. On a Mac you just use their isync software. Need to be careful on models. Look for isycn info at apple.com and it will tell you exactly which models it supports. (There are many versions of a Razr. )

In the long run I like the phone but the numb pad typing for email was a pain. (employer does not allow use of company email for personal use). If you dont plan to do a lot of email, the addressbook, tasks, and calendar were sufficient for me. ( i switched to an iphone. It is great for data like email etc)

There are some 3rd party apps you can by for the pc/razr world. I don't know if it works on a windows box natively.

Sound clarity was great.

I don't need email on my phone. Heck, I don't even text message much. Would just rather talk to someone. It's faster and interactive. Call me old school! So those are not issues for me. Except for wanting the calendar/day planner my needs are simple.

I did find a 3rd party application that would sync your phone and Outlook's calendar. I don't currently use it but there is not reason I couldn't. I am still looking at options but that seems like a reasonable one for me.