Sharpening question

Stu posted a pointer to a video he did on sharpening lathe tools. This led me to wondering if there's a book similar to Leonard Lee's sharpening book on how to sharpen lathe tools. Lee's book goes into the theory of how an edge cuts and what you have to do to create a good edge.

I'd like to find something like that for lathe tools. Something that described the sharpening of the different tools and the tradeoffs of different angles, etc. I don't want something that goes into the mechanics of grinding - I want something that tells me what shape to grind for different tools and applications.

I DO NOT want a video. In general, I find that I learn much better from a printed page.

If anyone has a recommendation, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks!!

Mike

Mike,

I believe Mike Darrow may have a book or two explaining the sharpening in detail. Normally he goes into the mechanics of everything he discusses. Very likely, there would be some trigonometry, geometry involved.

I am not a book person, I prefer videos. But I couldn't stand his video. I borrowed his 7 hour dvd from our Club library. I couldn't finish it in a whole month. His monotone voice put me to sleep each and every time. My impression is he explains every how and why in detail with math and physics. They may be more suitable in a printed format.

Thanks everyone. I have the same problem with video. I often want to jump ahead, and sometime want to go slower, but it's not as easy to do as with a book.

Although there are some things that are best demonstrated with a video rather than a sequence of pictures.

I'll check Amazon and see what they have of Darrow's.

Thanks, all!

Mike

I prefer books also, I don't own a single turning DVD or video.

I've never really found a good book on sharpening turning tools, "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley http://tinyurl.com/6m4otj supplies the basics, but that is it.

It seems most turners learn from other turners how to sharpen. Here are a couple of grinds form others that may help http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/grinds.shtml

In Stu's video, he refers to a AAW article which I think might be on their website. I looked for it but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else knows where it is.