What a thrill it is after 4 years to finally...

Congrats Ken. You know we are gonna want to see pictures.

When I get it done, there will be photos! I had every intention of getting it done yesterday but my Mother's Day obligations got in the way. Sharon didn't cook this weekend. I burned everything instead...:eek:

Well, it's about time. ;):rofl:

I'm just wondering if you aren't rushing this a wee bit though? :dunno:

If I recall, you'll be retiring before too much longer. If you get all this done now, what on earth are you gonna do when you retire? :huh::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Go get 'em bud. :thumb::D:D

Karl

You have a bit of an advantage though Frank. I'm not retired yet and my work hours often run from early morning into the late evenings and weekends. Often when you see me posting during the day, I'm on site somewhere waiting for a machine to finish a 1 hour specialized scan and I can't do anything else so I go online. Of course, the inmate turner's got even with me for going to the dungeon and teasing them. I really did feel obligated to use the lathe after they spent the money. Once I found out how much fun it was, however, it was just a lack of self discipline on my part.:eek:

I'm on my way to the shop to make a crosscut/panel jig for my tablesaw and then it's time to cut some more panels and finish that first cabinet.

Congratulations Ken! I remember that we started to build our shops at the same time and, for a little while, you seemed to be ahead of me. But, I guess that I finished first. :p
Now that Ken's done, perhaps we should let him in on the Big Secret...

Ken, a couple years or so ago, Frank was worried about you getting your shop done before him, so the brilliant, scheming Canuck that he is, he started the rumor around SMC that you were hankering for a lathe. A few PMs and e-mail message later, Frank successfully instigated the Bombing Run, all the while appearing to simply be an amused bystander. Very few people knew it was really Frank acting as the puppetmaster and pulling all the strings.
whistling.gif

Hi Ken,

You give me hope. I started my "shop" one year ago about the 15th of May. Guess I have 3 more years to dork.

Myrna, my wife, says, "All you do is make things for the shop. When are you going to do something?"

With that I shall leave you.

Have fun and Enjoy,

Jim

Well,

I got my crosscut/panel jig finished for the table saw. The jig is one of Norm's designs. Then I got my first cabinet cut and assembled. It's roughly 48"x48". It measured within a 1/16" from corner to corner when I was done. I figured that was good enough.

I learned a valuable lesson though. When you make dados, make sure you use a piece of the wood you are going to put in that dado to check the width of the dado. A piece of 1/2" plywood 46"x48" can be a real bear. Luckily for me, I have an 8 lb. sledge and strong arms and shoulders. I'll guarantee that back isn't coming off or out. I put glue in the dado as a lubricant not as an adhesive!:eek: It worked!:D:rofl:

Now after it dries overnight, I have to make and install the face frame and the french cleats. Then mount it on the wall.

Now that Ken's done, perhaps we should let him in on the Big Secret...

Ken, a couple years or so ago, Frank was worried about you getting your shop done before him, so the brilliant, scheming Canuck that he is, he started the rumor around SMC that you were hankering for a lathe. A few PMs and e-mail message later, Frank successfully instigated the Bombing Run, all the while appearing to simply be an amused bystander. Very few people knew it was really Frank acting as the puppetmaster and pulling all the strings.
whistling.gif

Good detective work Vaughn! :thumb:

I'm certainly happy that no one gave me a lathe. :D