heavy wood furntiture=shipping?

larry merlau

ok i didnt make these pieces but now have other uses for the sapce yup randi's is expanding:D so hear this out and tell me what or how to go about this. i have 3 LARGE and heavy pieces of red burl furniture and it needs to go to new home,, first thought is ebay for the sale,, but now the shipping comes in how do i go about that part? have the shipping company crate it or do i crate i then take to work and ship it from there threw a overland freight co? and how do i do the shipping cost which will vary according to where they end up????
HELP..

IMG_0957smlr.jpg

IMG_0960smlr.jpg

IMG_0963smlr.jpg

if you list on ebay, you should only list it for local pickup, or delivery.
Shipping costs today arent even astronomical, they are totally insane.
If someone bids on it, it should be made clear that they are totally responsible for pickup or arranging shipping to their location.

I dont know what furniture like that is worth, but even to travel a couple of hundred miles by truck, with tolls and gas would cost the buyer a pretty penny.

Ive used craigs list for a few pieces, one being a table and chairs, and the woman who took it hired a kid with a pickup who does craigslist pickups as a partime job.(and she only lived 15 miles from me, but still needed a truck)

Its cool looking furniture. Best of luck.

an example of shipping costs(in my business I recieve 200-300 case orders of goods. Usual shipping charges usually ran 5-6 % 2 years ago. Now shipping costs with Yellow, Old Dominion, Roadway, etc, run me 11-12%. doubled in 2 years)

(2 years ago I bought 12 rolls of Bamboo fencing from an outfit in California. The shipping was 600, the fencing only 700, so I didnt purchase, but then the company said theyd eat 200 of the shipping costs, so I went ahead with it.)

Last edited:
If someone bids on it, it should be made clear that they are totally responsible for pickup or arranging shipping to their location.

thanks allen yeah its headed for craigs list as of the comments i got here thanks

The best thing for you to do with that Larry is to put it in your truck and drive it right over to my house.:thumb::thumb:
I'll even let you use your old table saw while you are here.:thumb:
Like said above local pick up only or buyer make all shipping arrangements.

well chuck i will make ya a deal, you bring that table saw and atruck load of some good cherry and we can fix ya right up:)

I respectfully disagree about only listing it on EBay as local pick up. Who cares what it costs if someone else is paying for shipping?? I would set a minimum (reserve) price on it just in case no one wanted them, that way you don't give them away. If you have to build a crate just tack on a flat fee for building the crate. I am probably going to be shipping the wine cabinet to my sister I built.

Might be that one one bites but I wouldn't let shipping costs stop me. There might be a couple people who REALLY want that. I have paid some high priced shipping for a couple of items I really wanted. I have seen machines I might have paid shipping on but he sellers wouldn't offer shipping.

I respectfully disagree about only listing it on EBay as local pick up. Who cares what it costs if someone else is paying for shipping?? I would set a minimum (reserve) price on it just in case no one wanted them, that way you don't give them away. If you have to build a crate just tack on a flat fee for building the crate. I am probably going to be shipping the wine cabinet to my sister I built.

well we will see what happens on craigs list and go from there,, how do you bump it back up to the frnt of the list on craigs list i was told it gets buried from other postings and by bumping it up it the chances of it being seen is better????

I

jeff is right, I contradicted myself, I wasnt clear.
Im mixing ebay and craigslist.

depends on what it's worth-jeff is right if they are paying what the heck-then again if it's something that you put a value on (maybe because you make it) then one of those carriers that move antiques and art-if it's just something you can crate and ship- look up u-ship and get bids.

alex