My MJ Wannabe

The picture says it all! (For those of you who don't know MJ very well, she really, really likes planting veggies and flowers. Something tells me Alyson will be like that in a few more years) :)

I am just hoping Ally and Mommy did not plant these flowers to early, there was a pretty good frost on the ground this morning.The old timers always said "never plant stuff before the first full moon in May", so we got another week to go before we are out of danger.

Alyson_Digging-small.JPG

Last edited:
Awwww... Ally's so cute, look at her toiling away over the flower beds, that's a good sight to see. :thumb: :D She's a sweetie pie.

You know I also started playing in the dirt at about her age. Ally will be building ponds before you know it. And when I was little, I was also a towhead blonde. Watch out for those little blondes. ;)

--MJ, doing a lot more "water gardening" in the last couple of days... heavy rain here... :eek:.. Derek Walcott was right. ;)

And when I was little, I was also a towhead blonde. Watch out for those little blondes. ;)

Oh I'll be watching out for her. I already have my line picked out so when those eager boys come over to take her out on a date, I'll put the fear of Daddy into them.

"Listen son, I have a shot gun, a shovel and 1600 acres..."

I got a few years before I have to worry about using that line though. :)

Oh I'll be watching out for her. I already have my line picked out so when those eager boys come over to take her out on a date, I'll put the fear of Daddy into them.

"Listen son, I have a shot gun, a shovel and 1600 acres..."

I got a few years before I have to worry about using that line though. :)

travis, those years are going to close very fast. Like lightning.

I once used a similar line on my daughters high school prom date, told him see, I have this gun license, and a gun, and the rest is self explanatory.
My daughter told me she might never get a date again.
(so what I figured, that doesnt bother me one bit)

Funny, my wife keeps mentioning that Grandpa has a few hundred acres and won't say a word...he'll just fire up the tractor and dig the hole. :dunno:

Travis, you've got a great thing on your hands there. Ironically she may be doing the planting, but in reality you planted that seed and are getting to watch it grow. Enjoy every second, it's funny how time flies, mine is already 17.

Last edited:
As my neighbor back home used to say to the suitors who wandered back the long lane to his daughter's home... "Young man, did anyone see you come back h'yeah?" :D

He also used that one with the door-to-door preacher boys. Worked every time.

--MJ (still think Ally is as cute as a button!) :)

Funny, my wife keeps mentioning that Grandpa has a few hundred acres and won't say a word...he'll just fire up the tractor and dig the hole. :dunno:

Travis, you've got a great thing on your hands there. Ironically she may be doing the planting, but in reality you planted that seed and are getting to watch it grow. Enjoy every second, it's funny how time flies, mine is already 17.

My line sounds good, but actually I think its too much work, all that digging and stuff, plus Maine has all those rocks.:dunno: I think utilizing the Atlantic Ocean would be better. The water's to cold "to give up the dead", as the fishermen call it and the digging is easier.

Of course Maine had 3 million people in this state in 1820 or so, so there are plenty of old house foundations around, and even more hand dug wells. That might save wearing out a shovel or two.

Now for a more serious question for all you Daddy's who have had to deal with Gentlemen Callers who came for your daughters...how did you counter-act the desire to grab the little hormone infested, pimply-faced little peep-squeak by the throat, threaten him to within an inch of his life, and instead remain civil? Not sure I can do that, especially now since what we did at 18 is what they are doing at 15. :eek::eek::eek:

I gotta admit, I think when the time comes I'll see what the new Amish Family has for boys about her age. She looked cute in a bonnet when she was 6 months old, plus she will never have to worry about the rising cost of fuel, or her KW consumption per month. Besides I'm not above arranging a marriage for Alyson, or paying a dowry or something:):):)

It was kind of funny, Alyson goes to DayCare 1 day a week, which is typically on Thursdays. Well yesterday they went for a walk and the DayCare Provider uses a long rope with loops that the kids are supposed to hang onto. Well Alyson just plain refused to grip the rope. She's typically well behaved but the DayCare Provider just could not get her to hold onto that rope.

Well its funny because Alyson loves to go for walks. Well I got a few acres for her to play in so as long as we are not near the road, she is safe to play and discover on her own. After seeing a few of these pictures you can see why Alyson had no interest in holding onto a stupid rope. She is used to discovering things for herself.

Its also true you see the world differently through a child. As we went for this walk that day,she would just stoop down and marvel with total wonder at the grasses growing up in the hayfield. She was just mesmerized by the grass. At one point I stopped and looked at some with here, and you know what...right under her hand was a 4 leaf clover. I will always remember that walk and the irony of it all. Sometimes in our lives we just got to stop and "smell the roses", or in this case, check out the grass.

Anyway, here is a couple of pictures of Little Bitty Alyson in a great big field (40 acres). Now you can see why she didn't want to hold onto a rope and be lead somewhere by someone else. She is used to discovering on her own. (She is kind of hard to spot in the second picture)

Pasture_Walk-small.JPG

Itty_Bittty_Aly-small.JPG

Here is another picture for you MJ,. but this time closer up and with Mommy in the picture. Just don't make fun of my Rhododendron in the left-foreground of the picture. It looks kind of spindly, but with 200 inches of snow this year, it was a hard winter. :)

PS MJ: Note pink boots :)

Aly_And_Mommy_Gardeneing.JPG

Now for a more serious question for all you Daddy's who have had to deal with Gentlemen Callers who came for your daughters...how did you counter-act the desire to grab the little hormone infested, pimply-faced little peep-squeak by the throat, threaten him to within an inch of his life, and instead remain civil?:):)

You just believe in yourself and your ability to raise a child properly, and hope that youve instilled enough smarts into your kid to know right and wrong,and the trust youve established with them as they have grown up.
(especially when it comes to the opposite sex, whether you raise a son or a daughter)

Travis,
It's really great to be around them growing up. Your daughter is growing up fine. Mine are 4 and 6 years old. We live in the city, but have family around with land. My kids had their introduction to Timothy Hay the other day - it's been so wet this spring, the stuff is growing up really nicely. It was a blast whith them in the corn fields last fall as well. But then again, a worm on the sidewalk can occupy the better part of an afternoon. We grow some veggies - mostly for them to snack on when they're outside. Cherry tomatoes, snow peas, green beans, carrots, etc. It looks like a good year for the rasberries as well. Not much of our "harvest" makes it to the kitchen.
About the independence at school, i've got one like that as well. He simply doesn't care what anyone really thinks about him, except for maybe some close family. He's not out to impress anyone, and really just does his own thing. It's a good thing he's sweet and pretty smart, otherwise it could be difficult. As it is, i'm learning a lot as we fumble our way through parenthood. Having a lot of fun too.
Paul Hubbman

Its been pretty dry here actually Paul. I was kind of surprised as it was such a hard winter, but I will get to that in a minute. In the meantime the Maine Forest Service has banned all outdoor fires as the wind is breezy and everything is bone dry. The grass is starting to grow and the leaves are starting to bud on the trees, but overall its very, very dry.

We took our weekly Friday hike today, but the farmers are putting on fertilizer today so we could not walk through the fields. Oh its nothing bad, just smelly as they use liquid cow manure and spray it on the fields. At the same time they are also applying a lime substitute which is just wood ash that comes out of the papermill boilers. Again nothing bad, but next week its supposed to rain so all the stuff will be gone and we can do our weekly hikes. Still you would not believe the traffic on this road today. I bet I got more truck traffic going by the house then the interstate does. Busy day that's for sure with a truck going by every 5 minutes or so.

In the meantime we went out through the woods and stumbled upon another sad result of the hard winter. I wish the picture came out better but its the result of mother nature at its worst. The deer like this fawn had a tough time in the deep snow and the Coyotes were hungry. They got every last drop from this fawn.

The Game Wardens already said they are dropping the number of hunting permits this year by a third because of the Coyote Kill. Last year on me they hunted and killed 25 coyotes over the winter, but this year only got 5. That's because the snow was so deep they could not run dogs, or trap them. This is the 3rd deer carcass I have seen in just a few weeks, most years I am lucky to see one all year long. Still I jumped a few deer today so they are still around. Alyson said "Doggie" upon seeing them so I still got a lot to teach her. :)

Fawn_Carcass.JPG