8" Sakura Bowl for a Friend

Stuart Ablett

I whipped this one off the lathe today, as a gift for a friend Neil who came to visit me in the hospital a lot, and entertained me by teasing the nurses (all in good fun). :D
Neil and his wife came by the shop the other day, and bought a nice 1/2 bottle of Champagne, they said it was a present so could be please wrap it up, we did, then they gave it to Emiko and I for a combo Mother's Day/Birthday present to us. :thumb:

Emiko and I enjoyed it that evening. I know it sounds funny to give wine to a wine merchant, but to be honest, we would not have bought ourselves a nice bottle like that, so it was a treat.

This is for them as a "Thank You" from Emiko and I.........

setsuko1.JPG setsuko2.JPG setsuko3.JPG setsuko4.JPG
This is Sakura (Cherry) that I got a while back, I made it a bit beefy, as I want them to use it, and they have 3 sons, ages 1 to 5 so I know it will see some banging around, thus, no sharp edges either :D

The finish is just mineral oil, easy to keep up. The bowl is about 8" in diameter.

Pics taking with the new cell phone camera, I'm still figuring out which settings are the best.

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques welcome! :wave:

Very nice bowl, and very nice gesture. (Appropriate, but nice.) I really like the grain in the sakura wood. The pics look pretty impressive for a phone camera, too.

Since you asked for critiques, if I put on my REAL squinty glasses, I can see what looks like very faint remnants of horizontal tool or sanding marks in the last pic. It might be an illusion, and as I said, that's getting real scrutinous. I think the average Joe would be hard pressed to find anything wrong with that bowl. :thumb:

.............Since you asked for critiques, if I put on my REAL squinty glasses, I can see what looks like very faint remnants of horizontal tool or sanding marks in the last pic. It might be an illusion, and as I said, that's getting real scrutinous. I think the average Joe would be hard pressed to find anything wrong with that bowl. :thumb:

No marks on the real thing, I did check.

I just delivered it, they were very pleased, my buddy Neil joked that he looks forward to the next time I get injured :D :rofl:

Very good looking bowl Stuart, a nice present as well.
Not bad pictures, and that with a cell phone.

Ad :wave: