Small NE Mukunoki Bowl

Stuart Ablett

OK, this is a piece of the wood I got from the Shrine a while back, the wood is called "Mukunoki". It is a semi hardwood, and turns easily, but has a rather strange complication, when you cut this wood, within minutes, the wood goes a kind of gray color...:huh: :dunno:

I roughed out a pile of these, this is the first one I finish turned........

mukunoki_1.jpg mukunoki_2.jpg mukunoki_3.jpg mukunoki_4.jpg mukunoki_5.jpg
mukunoki_6.jpg mukunoki_7.jpg mukunoki_8.jpg mukunoki_9.jpg mukunoki_10.jpg

LOTS of pictures :rolleyes: Trying out the new cell phone camera a bit.... :eek:

What do you think?

Some more pics.....

mukunoki_11.jpg mukunoki_12.jpg mukunoki_13.jpg mukunoki_14.jpg

OK, now just to see the differences in the white balance in my cell camera, here are some pics taking with the various settings......

mukunoki_auto.jpg
Auto setting

mukunoki_cloudy.jpg
Cloudy Setting

mukunoki_fluorescent.jpg
Fluorescent Setting

mukunoki_incandescent.jpg
Incandescent Setting

mukunoki_sunny.jpg
Sunny Setting

These pics are all taken with my new Sony Cybershot W61S cell phone camera, using my phototent, and three 5100K lights.

Neat-looking little bowl, Stu. Cool wood, even if it does change colors on you.

Which of the settings most closely reflects the true color of your backdrop? That'll likely be the best one to use. I also notice that the depth of field is fairly shallow. (The front of the bowl is generally well-focused, but the back is a bit blurry.) If you can reduce the aperture size (a higher f-stop number) and slow down the shutter speed it will help deepen the field. Another approach would be to move the camera a bit farther away from the piece, and use the optical zoom to get a bit "closer".

Thanks Vaughn

I think the "Auto" setting is the closest, so that is easy :rolleyes:

I noticed that the pics are out of focus a bit, I have been playing with the settings some more.

Maybe I'll just get out the Olympus camera and take some good pics :D :wave:

Hi Stu.

Being my experience at picture taking near to none, there is little I can suggest you but looking at the pics I see that the results with the "AUTO" setting one are almost equal to the "SUNNY" setting, as I do not know which were the original conditions I do not know how close to reality they are.

I have the feeling that the "AUTO" setting only decides by itself which one of the other settings is going to be applied depending on the conditions.

I do not know if this helps but it caught my attention.

Toni, I thought the same...auto and sunny look very similar. Can't help with the camera settings, but I like the bowl very much. Well Done!:thumb:

when you cut this wood, within minutes, the wood goes a kind of gray color...:huh: :dunno:

Hi Stu,

Just from the top of my head, it looks to me that the this wood oxidates rather easily in the same way that apples do when they are peeled off and let on a dish for a few minutes. The same thing happens with artichokes ( they turn black)
In order to prevent this, chefs wash the just peeled off apples or artichokes with lemon juice and in this way the do not oxidize in contact with air.

Maybe you could give it a try with a piece of scrap?:dunno:

Hey Toni, that is a good idea, I'll try that next time I rough one out.......... I wonder what people will say when they see a bottle of lemon juice next to my lathe :D