Need help with birthday ideas

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

I'm in a bind and need some help. A very special colleague's birthday is coming up tuesday, and I want to make something for her. Last year, she got the first presentable bowl off the lathe, so a bowl is out (though she uses hers all the time). That three foot tall birdhouse I made went to her boss, so something like that is out too. Frankly, I'd been planning to steal the idea for that cheese and crackers plate that Cody made, which was so cool, but we've been swamped at both work and home so I never got around to ordering the center and the glass top from craftsuppliesUSA, so that's out... :(

Please please please help me think of something special and unusual to make for her on the lathe, or otherwise!

Thanks,

Bill

Bill...I've been meaning to make a birdhouse like the ones Curt F. and Vaughn (probably others too) made in the past...here is a link to Vaughn's and the last post has a pic of Curt's too.

<<LINKY>>

My MIL saw the pics and wants one...maybe your collegue would too?

Bill, what about a low lidded box.
I made one for my lovely wife a year ago, she use this lidded box for her cardplay monye. It's also usable for something else.
Look to the pictures.
Ad

Attachments

• low lidded box.jpg
    low lidded box.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 6
  • low lidded box - containing cardplay monye Nel.jpg
    low lidded box - containing cardplay monye Nel.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4
  • low lidded box - view bottom box and inside lid.jpg
    low lidded box - view bottom box and inside lid.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3
Jeff,

It's a great idea. Only problem? This one http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4638
went to her boss. I'd have a heck of a time trying to top that one...

But it's on the right track. I need something none of them have ever seen, as unusual as one of those...

Thanks,

Bill

Sorry Bill...how did I miss that in your original post...:huh: If she liked the one you gave your boss....could still be an option with a different form. :dunno:

How about a rectangle box with two different woods and maybe splines in the corners. This can be a fairly quick gift and looks really nice. This will also get rid of some of your scraps.