Modest Cherry Bowl

A simple and modest Cherry bowl, 7 ¼” diameter x 2 3/8” high, sanded to 400 grit, 5 thinned coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. Will wait for at least a week before buffing.

Simple Cherry V1.JPG Simple Cherry V2.JPG Simple Cherry V3.JPG Simple Cherry V4.JPG

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Steve, are you sure you don't have a wood extrusion machine in your shop, just pumping these bowls out? :p This one's another very nice example of a classic bowl. :thumb:

Steve, even without buffing it look gorgeous, so I'm curious to see the difference when you buff it.

Ad :thumb:

steve, another great looking bowl from one of my favorite woods. you've got that finish technique down pat. how many days does it take for five coats? do you wipe on with paper towels or what?

Thanks everyone!

Clark - usually takes 3 days for finishing. The day I take the turning off the lathe it gets a full coat of poly. I let that dry for close to 24 hours then apply the first coat on just the inside. That usually dries in a few hours and I can reapply. Once the inside is done I do the same with the outside.

I use a paper towel ripped up into small squares to apply the poly. Hope that helps.

steve,thanks for the reply. i've been using the sam maloof finish and like the results but i have to buff it up to get a shine like you're getting straight from the poly. i'm not sure how you cover the entire piece with the first coat and support it while it dries? i've used poly a lot on flats and hold them on a drying rack that leaves tiny indents. or hang other shapes on a string while coating and drying but a bowl...not sure how i would isolate it. my first inclination would be to do one side at a time and just dry on the bench.

Clark - when I do the first coat I only want to get some of the poly into the wood and am not worried about anything else. I wipe it on, wait a little bit, add a little more if it is really absorbing the finish and then I wipe the excess off with an old towel. I have an old lazy-susan that I have on my outfeed table, have a small shelf liner on it and just leave whatever I am finishing on it to dry.

After the first coat dries I then finish it in steps. Hope that helps.

Steve,

I've seen a lot of bowls and turned a lot of bowls but that one is really pleasing to my eye. It's a classic shape and it has a classic Cherry look.

That finish is gorgeous, too. I may have to try that poly. Thanks for showing.