Oak End Table

Alex Reid

Here it is almost finished with two coats of BLO/Tung/Poly. This is the end table to sit alongside my Oak bookcase made a few months back. The design it the same just scaled down with a drawer put in. The timber used on this piece is a bit of a hodge podge as there are at least 4 different trees involved. But with that in mind I tried to keep things consistent. I used the last of my really nice QSO sliced into veneer on the drawer front and stiles. I had just enough and the side panels are bookmatched QSO with some spalting. The joinery is 4 pin dowels on all the main joints. The drawer is dovetail in the front and pinned in the back. I even did the drawer bottom in oak.

One thing I hace discovered doing this end table and the bookcase is how much I like oak. I did a buffet in oak in high school, which I still have but since then have not worked with it. Only problem is QSO is quite hard to find in Japan.

Front Profile
oakcabinet3.jpg

Side Angle Profile
oakcabinet1.jpg

Back Profile
oakcabinet7.jpg

Drawer
oakcabinet6.jpg

Ebony Pull
oakcabinet5.jpg

nice job there alex, when you get over this way i can give ya some of that gtr sawn,, i like it as well and have got some plans for it in the future but it takes large trees to get the nice stuff.. what did you use for the slide mechanics on your drawer?

Thanks for the comments guys.

Stu sounds like an idea. Think maybe they'll takyubin it? They'll takyubin anything here.

Larry the drawer slides are standard doublers with the drawer rails glued and screwed to them. The bottom doublers are pinned to the legs front and back because as you can see the sides are frame and panel construction. So I couldn't glue doublers on to them. The top inside is a doubler with the kick board glued on. I didn't screw it on also because standard PVC glue is enough.

Here's a shot of the inside.
cabinet2.jpg

That is a really great look. Beautiful piece in a style that I really enjoy. The handmade pull is a great additional too.

That is really nice looking Alex!

What did you mean by "I used the last of my really nice QSO sliced into veneer on the drawer front and stiles". Does this mean you veneered a piece of solid oak with the QSO? How thick is the veneer?

Brad

That is really nice looking Alex!

What did you mean by "I used the last of my really nice QSO sliced into veneer on the drawer front and stiles". Does this mean you veneered a piece of solid oak with the QSO? How thick is the veneer?

Brad

That is correct Brad. I veneered QSO onto an oak substrate. The veneer is 3mm thick.

Thanks again all for the warm comments.

alex-i like the spacing of the dove tails with the one bigger one in the middle-also they look very clean -i see the chisels behind there i like the off-set one. i really really like the ebony pull -i make my own pulls but nothing as neat as that (i might try to copy it ) anyway looks really good.

rounding off the sharp corners
alex

alex-i like the spacing of the dove tails with the one bigger one in the middle-also they look very clean -i see the chisels behind there i like the off-set one. i really really like the ebony pull -i make my own pulls but nothing as neat as that (i might try to copy it ) anyway looks really good.

rounding off the sharp corners
alex

Thanks Ed. I always make my own pulls. One thing I have learned is a pull can make or break a piece. It is cresent shape in the back but it is also shaped at 45 degrees along the inside top and bottom edges. This gives the fingers a solid place to grab from and it feels nice to the touch. The all the edges are rounded off.