Old Vs. New Drill Press Dilema

Matt Meiser

Last year my old cheapy import drill press started to make a lot of racket and I started looking for a replacement--I really wanted an old one, but couldn't find a suitable one within a reasonable driving distance. So I ended up buying a Steel City which is a really nice machine.

Fast forward to yesterday--I went to a garage sale with "tools" which usually means a couple of rusty screw drivers and I found the drill press below. He was asking $75, I offered $50, and I brought it home for $60. I've got someone willing to buy it from me for $125.

But I'm starting to think I'd like to keep it. I'm thinking of tearing it down, cleaning and painting, etc. I'm thinking I could replace the existing motor with a 3-phase, which I may be able to get for free from a friend--he's looking in his stash for me. Put a VFD on it and have a really nice electronically variable speed drill press for ~$250. I should be able to sell the like-new Steel city for at least $100 more than that.

Attachments

• IMG_8074.jpg
    IMG_8074.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_8073.jpg
    IMG_8073.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 82
The SCTW is supposed to be a pretty fine machine. The only thing that really bothers me about old DP's is the lack of a crank for table height and the one piece chuck and spindle that some of the older machines had (can't change the chuck). Other than that they are generally superior to today's machines in my experience.

P.s. Oh yeah, and those funky depth stops.

Yes, that's it. Maybe I'm a wimp. If you have used a "quick" design and then have to go back to the "wind one down, oops too far, back just a bit, OK now lock it, oops it moved" method, it is quite painful to me ;-)

I didn't mean to imply that the older machine wasn't good and hope I didn't give that impression. There are just some conveniences in the modern designs that are quite nice . . . if only we could merge the two . . . (mad scientist thoughts kicking in).

Oh, that makes sense. I thought you were saying the designs are totally different.

I've committed to sell this to someone, but I'm seriously thinking of backing out and having 2 DPs. Is that crazy? Even on OWWM most people are saying they would keep the SCTW one unless I find a killer old machine.

I have an old drill-press with a table that is moved up & down like the one you show in the picture it is ok as long as I don't have a big table or heavy item on the table when I want to move it up or down. My other drill-press has a big shop built table with fence that has a crank system to move it up & down & it really needs it.

Yes having 2 of the same type of tool is handy 2 band-saws 2 planers 2 shapers 2 lathes etc can be handy.

Oh, that makes sense. I thought you were saying the designs are totally different.

I've committed to sell this to someone, but I'm seriously thinking of backing out and having 2 DPs. Is that crazy? Even on OWWM most people are saying they would keep the SCTW one unless I find a killer old machine.

TWO DP's are darned handy at times, Matt,:thumb: especially if you use one primarily for working wood, and the other for working metal........(sure keeps from accidentally missing some oil on the DP table or other parts cleanup from when you were drilling metal) and then having that oil get onto your wood project. I have a '70's model Craftsman industrial that has two tables that you just rotate around under the head, (one is for metal and the other is more for WW) and occassionally I still get some oil on a wood part. I will eventually have TWO DP's also.:D

I'm seriously thinking of backing out and having 2 DPs. Is that crazy?

I almost tried to outbid a member who bought my dad's old Delta and I already have a new DP so no, it's not crazy. Discussions with the buyer were already in motion so I stood by quietly as my dad sold his father's machine. . . I know, I know, the right thing for him to have done would have been to pass it on to me but sometimes he's just that way ;-)

I almost tried to outbid a member who bought my dad's old Delta and I already have a new DP so no, it's not crazy. Discussions with the buyer were already in motion so I stood by quietly as my dad sold his father's machine. . . I know, I know, the right thing for him to have done would have been to pass it on to me but sometimes he's just that way ;-)

stubborness and old age seem to go hand in hand,, i have it with my dad too, but fortunatly i dont have the ailement ....yet;)

...I've committed to sell this to someone, but I'm seriously thinking of backing out and having 2 DPs. Is that crazy?...

I've had two drill presses (and two bandsaws, but that's a different story) for several years - a Powermatic 16", 12 speed, which I use mostly for metal and a Shop Fox radial press - five speeds - which is pretty much reserved for woodworking.

They do occasionally overlap - like when I need two different setups for a project, or something. I find the convenience great, and often find myself going to one when the other is tied up with a jig of some sort.

The Shop Fox has a big shop-built table that's sorta patterned after the Rockler table, but bigger, and with a shelf under it.

Both are mounted on 24" X 30" mobile bases, and have equipment storages at the bottom, just above the bases, to add weight and thus stability.

Gotta keep them both, Matt. She'll get over 'The Look.' :rolleyes:

The wife isn't thrilled with the idea of two DPs. I got "the look".

Ask her how come she needs more than 1 pair shoes since she can only wear one pair at time. ;)

after1.jpg

Two drill presses?? Yea they are handy!

The wife isn't thrilled with the idea of two DPs. I got "the look".

Uh.........is the wife going to use the DP..................:huh:...........

'course I guess I shouldn't question that, 'cause at our house, the SHOP and ALL it entails is Mine, while GOING NUTS about, (and Attending) NASCAR, GEORGE STRAIT Concerts, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, is ALL HERS and I'm SURE not allowed any disparaging comments about "THOSE HOBBIES", (which I can assure you are a LOT more expensive than MY WOODWORKING)!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Maybe you can figure a way around her distaste Matt):D

I think you would be money ahead to keep them both, and you would be NUTS to sell off the Rockwell, you got it for $60, at the very least clean it up, repaint it, and then look at selling it, you will get a LOT more for it, but I'm also sure that once it is cleaned up, and looking nice, your lovely wife will see what a nice machine it is and you will be able to keep it.

$60, man, what is that, like ONE new shoe? :dunno:

I've committed to sell this to someone, but I'm seriously thinking of backing out and having 2 DPs.

I'm not going to argue with the folks who say 2 DPs can be handy. If you've got the space, and if the deal is good (which it was - gloattable even), then sure.

But your sentence above gives me pause. Just how firmly did you commit? That would bother me more even than "the look" from my wife. If it is a casual comment, then sure, the decision is yours. But if you have an agreement, a clear understanding, with the buyer, then sorry Matt, for the sake of your integrity I think you should go ahead with selling it. :thumb:

best wishes,
...art

Thanks for all the advise guys. Art, what you said is right on. While I think the buyer would have understood, it was the right thing to do. He picked it up tonight. $65 profit isn't too shabby for very little work.

Now if/when I find an old Delta with the top hat, that is highly likely to become my second DP. Or if I find a deal on an old 17" Delta like the one that came up on Craigslist the other day (but was way too expensive) that may become my ONLY dp. Unless of course I follow the other excellent suggestion (from someonw on OWWM no less!) to remove and store the single phase motor from my Steel City and install a three phase motor and VFD. That could be done for <$200 since fractional horsepower three phase motors can be had for next-to-nothing or even nothing.

Matt

I purchased a new DP and for one reason only---adjustable table height. I am a little guy (114 pounds) and adjusting that height is a pain to me. I did a thread on FWW about methods to change height. I received a lot of good advice---all of which involved time. Right now time is a very valuable product to me so I purchased the new DP.

The old DP is a Delta that was my father's. It is in very good condition. A member said he wanted to purchase it and then had to back out. It is for sale again. I know my son, Glenn, was interested. However, he has purchased a new DP so I doubt if that interest still exists. I am going to list it in the classifieds.

Oh yes, what started this rambling piece is that the old Delta is REALLY a piece of machinery. I mean that two fingers can spin the chuck open or closed. There is absolutely no slop in the spindle. Anyway, you get the idea. An old well kept machine is a joy in all respects (except changing table height).

Enjoy,

Jim

p.s. I just don't have room for two DPs or I would keep it.

Last edited: