Segmented Bowl

Well here is my first segmented bowl and probably the last at least till I retire so I can have some time to work on these. I think it turned out pretty good for no more time than I put into it. I didn't realize how much time was involved. Anyway it is cherry on the bottom, next row is cherry, cherry/walnut/purpleheart, next two rows are cherry and then the top row is again cherry/walnut/purpleheart. Finished with 4 coats of Antique oil and buffed. I made this for the LOML for mothers day. I have a long ways to go on these but at least I can say I did one.:D:rolleyes:;)

Attachments

• Segmented Bowl 1.jpg
    Segmented Bowl 1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Segmented Bowl 2.jpg
    Segmented Bowl 2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 44
Gorgeous, Bernie! :thumb:
Any estimate to the time you put into it? Must be a few hours just getting it ready to start turning, eh?
I could say it was worth the effort but I didn't put the effort into it. :D

So now that you are hooked on polychromatic segmented wood turning when can we expect competition for Malcolm?

When I first started turning a segmented piece I did not have the guts to cut my parts from exotic woods so I used plain old pine. It worked just fine and from there I move on to use exotic woods but I seldom mixed them in a bowl. I left my mixing for larger urns and such.

One suggestion I might make is to overlap your rings by half a segment width and you will have a much stronger bowl. The way you have everything lined up you are depending a lot on end grain to end grain glue joints. They should hold but in the long run overlapping is better.

By the way it is a great looking polychromatic segmented bowl!:p:D:thumb:

Boy that does look like it would take a LONG time to build up.

Nice job, your first one is WAY better than mine, cause I've not had the guts to try one! :eek:

Thanks for the comments. Yep Big Mike there are some things I should have or could of did different. The wife got me a book on Ray Allen by Dale Nish. I didn't even think about staggering them instead of trying to line the up. I guess you don't learn till you do it. Stu there is a awful lot of time involved but hopefully doing more of them and better jigs it will take a shorter amount of time plus get easier.

Also before I do another I will finish reading this book and will get Malcolm's book. If I am going to do many of these I will build some good jigs and glue jigs. I will also build a nice press rather than one of my 50 lb weights I use for weight lifting.:rofl:

Bernie, I know how much time you have to spend on segmented turnings, and not to forget patient. Your first try is a way better than my first segmented bowl. So you did a great job on both, and I know now you're hooked :D
Don't wait till you are retired, so keep them coming.
Ad :thumb::thumb:

I will also build a nice press rather than one of my 50 lb weights I use for weight lifting.:rofl:

That is exactly how I do my segmented glue ups... with 50 lb. weights.

If you really get serious about polychromatic segmented woodturning here is a picture of a press you can buy from Grizzly for about $50 and modify for that purpose by using threaded rod and pipe for extensions to give enough clearance under the press..

The second picture shows a way of clamping we all are familiar with...

Attachments

• IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: