Variation on the Oland Tool

Chas Jones

_________
_________Thought these homemade square shank 'Oland' tools might be of interest.
_________
_________ ____click on images for larger view

_________Chestnut Handles, 660mm total length, 3/16" SQ HSS tool bits.

__________ And this is how they are used most of the time.

____________The Control Gate___________Controlling twist on angled tool____Straight tool with lathe in reverse.

Holy Sweet Tool!

Nice work! I am assuming that homemade means 'made by you'. That's a very interesting fixture. I have turned with the lathe in reverse using a bowl gouge, and I never had concerns about twisting or catching. Is this tool mainly for very deeply undercut rims? What are it's most common uses? Thanks, and congrats!

Hutch

Hutch said:
I am assuming that homemade means 'made by you'.
correct.

Hutch said:
That's a very interesting fixture. ........... Is this tool mainly for very deeply undercut rims?
That was the prime reason for initial manufacture.

Hutch said:
What are it's most common uses?
I am finding the straight tool gets more and more use for hollowing out both deep and shallow bowls in 'tough' wood, it's not pretty in action but it gets the bulk of the wood out quickly without having to worry about bevel contact or resort to fancier ring or shielded tools, just needing a clean up with a bowl gouge or shear scraper when finishing.

Very cool, Chas. The tools look nice, and the support gate looks like a slick idea. I could see some of the more "metal inclined" folks making their own version of the gate.

Chas, very interesting.
If you build that by yourself, my hat off for you.
Looks GREAT!!!

Ad :thumb:

Well done Chas. :thumb: I like to build my own tools also. Just finished building a captured hollowing rig and am still fine tuning. I will post a pic soon.

Chas, I use a gate with a single staitionary pin...your's looks like it would work like a charm! My dad ground a cutting bit similar to the Berger tool that I look forward to trying out this weekend. Thanks for the pics.