And MORe tool cabinet progress!

Dominic Greco

I finally cut the dovetails for the drawers and glued them up. This only took a month!
yellowbiggrin.gif

While the dovetails were machine cut using my Leigh Dovetail jig, I did make then drawers slightly wider than necessary so that I could plane then to a perfect fit. I finished doing that tonight.

The sides are mahogany and the drawer fronts are ambrosia maple. The top set of drawers are 2 1/2" high, while the bottom set are 3 1/4" high. All of them are about 16 1/4" wide x 10" deep. They have 1/4" thick plywood bottoms.

I still need to cut the grooves for the runners in the drawer sides and then install the runners in the cabinet.
toolcabnetdrawers1.jpg

toolcabnetdrawers3.jpg

It was cheap!

Nothing like using a cheap secondary wood! The drawers look great!:thumb:

Thanks for the compliments!

That mahogany came from a packing crate! A friend of mine who worked in shipping department at my old company snagged a crate that came from overseas. It was made from Mahagony! So he saved some for me as well. That wood sat in my shop for several years until I was able to surface plane it to the right thickness.

Now I think I might have enough to make new drawers that have the dovetails in the RIGHT orientation! Yeah, that's right. I messed up and put the pins where the tails should be and vice versa. Maybe when I find the time to make new ones, this new set of drawers will feature hand cut dovetails. :D

Looking great Dominic! Do have one question, though, how many of those handplane garages are for future expansion? You did plan for additions to the herd, right?:thumb:

lots of room to grow

Believe me, I allowed a good deal of room for growth.

But to be honest, I've been thinning down my herd lately. I've been getting rid of planes I don't use, or ones that I upgraded from. That made a little room.

Of course, as soon as I got rid of 4 planes I bought 3 other ones!:D