clear finish on Purpleheart?

Kevin Vernon

What would you recomend? Obviously, I don't want anything to mess with that gorgeous purple tone - but I want the wood protected.

If it helps any, this will just be something decorative, hanging on a wall.

If anybody has suggestions, I'm all ears. :dunno::huh:

-Kevin in Indy

I'd think pretty much any of the clear wipe-on finishes would work fine. I'd probably use Minwax Antique Oil finish, just because I already have some on the shelf in the shop. Wipe-on poly, or one of the tung oil blends should also work great.

If in doubt, try the finish on a few scraps, being sure to also follow the same sanding routine as on the piece you want to finish.

Using with an oil based finish will turn the shade to a cranberry color. If you want to keep the purple "grape" color, use a water based finish. There is nothing that will keep purpleheart from browning over time, but if the wood is sealed with a finish, kept from direct sunlight, it is a very slow process. It holds it's color much longer than paduak, sp?

We've had very good luck with purpleheart by clear-coating it with lacquer. Two or three coats. I have some purpleheart accents on some of my furniture, and it's still a nice purple. Granted, it doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight, but my living-room tables are four years old and still as purple as the day they went into the house.