Spalted Alder Hollow Form WIP

Stuart Ablett

Since I >> POPPED << the last bit of wood I got from Vaughn, I'm doing my best to make sure this one stays in one piece......:doh:

spalted_alder01.jpg
OK, here is the piece, I got it marked out for slicing.......

spalted_alder02.jpg
..... and let the Phoenix have at it! :thumb:

spalted_alder03.jpg
Mounted up on the screw chuck ready to go.....

spalted_alder04.jpg
Man this stuff is SOFT, very difficult to get a nice clean cut.... :huh:

spalted_alder05.jpg
This is the best I could do, it is still fairly thick (8mm) and now I'll put it in my pressure pot with some stuff to, hopefully, stiffing up the wood.......

spalted_alder06.jpg
Here is is after spending most of the day in the pressure pot, under vacuum, I hope that when it dries out, I can turn it with a nice finish.....

BTW, I noticed when I was emptying out the pressure pot, that this little guy was in the solution..........

I guess that he hitched ride all the way from California, then lived in that chunk of wood for a few months, only to then face a sharpened gouge and a hollowing tool, it survived all of that, to be drowned in a solution under vacuum........... :dunno:

Cheers!:wave:
spalted_alder07.jpg

Wow, you found William! I've been looking all over for him. He went missing a few months ago, and now I see where he went. Poor little William. :(

The HF is looking good, Stu. I've seen that alder range from pretty hard to real soft, and sometimes in the same piece. What did you use in the pressure/vacuum pot for stabilization? I've been considering trying that on some stuff, too.

Stuart said:
I hope that when it dries out, I can turn it with a nice finish.....

I hope so too Stu, it looks a little Grubby at the moment, :p

attachment.php

Good toolwork on it so far though.

Wow, you found William! I've been looking all over for him. He went missing a few months ago, and now I see where he went. Poor little William. :(

The HF is looking good, Stu. I've seen that alder range from pretty hard to real soft, and sometimes in the same piece. What did you use in the pressure/vacuum pot for stabilization? I've been considering trying that on some stuff, too.

Real sorry about William, if I'd known he was there, I would have sent him back to you, tragic :eek:

On the pressure/vacuum pot thing..........

>> LINK <<

:wave: