Hello to Everyone

Barry Reade

Hello to everyone from Powder Springs, GA which is in the Metro Atlanta area just West of Marietta. I found this Forum on Google and after looking it over decided that it looked friendly and that I wanted to join. I haven’t been a confirmed woodworker in my life until recently. I have been a do it yourselfer my whole life and was brought up with the mindset “If you want it done right do it yourself”. I have made a lot of mistakes but have learned a lot over the past several decades. I grew up in South Florida (Lake Worth), went in the US Navy for 30 years and specialized in Nuclear Submarines, retired and went back to school and became a Chiropractor for 15 years and sold my practice in April 06. I have been unemployed since. I did some wood working, really crude, back in the late 70’s. I made a coffee table and two end tables. My wife loved them and was unhappy when I sold them. I sold them as I could see every mistake I made when building and finishing them. I couldn’t appreciate the overall product. I sold them to a coworker and he still has them today. So, I haven’t done anymore woodworking until I became unemployed and started working on my house out of necessity as when you are unemployed your disposable income is limited (unless you made big bucks or won the Lottery). My current project is putting in 1500 ft sq of traditional red oak ¾”X 4” unfinished flooring. My wife is my partner and we have done the Florida room, Master Bedroom, and Master closet so far.
298720871_hWmQt-M.jpg

298721728_LKuHw-M.jpg

We have learned about dust control the hard way both of us having had pneumonia twice and the medical doctors saying the dust was not a factor ( what do they know). After researching dust control we have learned is was the fine red oak sanding dust and even though we thought we had taken dust precautions we had fallen pitifully short. We have since cleaned up the house bought extra respirators (myself a PAPR), a JDS air cleaner, and modified box fans with HEPA filters and will take the additional precautions to ensure we can enjoy our work without becoming sick. As I have worked on the floor I have come to really enjoy working with wood and the other products associated with them. We have an older Ethan Allen bedroom set but do not have a head board. When we were finishing up the room and putting it back together my wife said she would like to have a head board. That will be the next project after I finish the flooring job. I have a few tools; Dewalt dbl compound sliding miter saw and stand, Dewalt 10” contractors table saw, various sanders, Pneumatic flooring stapler, Crane Jam saw, Clarke American 12” X 18” orbital sander w/dust pickup (Ha), 15 ga finishing nailer, 23 ga finishing nailer.
298713597_Z5cQi-M.jpg

I have just ordered a bandsaw for resawing and look forward to expanding my horizons in the world of wood. My current shop is set up for machining, welding, and motorcycles.
300023479_MjTPE-M.jpg

300023528_yMprM-M.jpg

I need to sell of my two 10'X16' mini barns and build a wood and storage shop.

300026143_vuGyC-M.jpg

Several members said they really liked pictures I noticed when I was lurking. I hope I didn't overdo it.

I need to stop now as my thumbs hurt from typing so much.

:thumb:Hi Barry, and welcome.:wave:
Looks like you're dong a great job on that floor! Very attractive.
I agree with you on seeing every little mistake on your work. I have the same problem. The LOML gets furious with me when I'm showing my work to others and apologize for the less than perfect parts. She insists no one would ever notice if I didn't point them out. She's probably right, but I always notice.
Yes! We love pictures! Keep them coming!:thumb:

Welcome to the Family Barry!

The floors look GREAT! :thumb:

Love your metal lathe, I'd sure like to add one of those to my Dungeon, but I don't know where I'd put it :huh:

Love the pics! :wave:

Rennie, My wife tells me the same thing and recently I have begun to see the light so to speak. If I don’t mention it they don’t see it. As you season you will come to grips with it better. Maybe not but I know that I have and I use to be an A+++ personality when I was younger.

Jeff, I am intrigued with the thought of spinning wood but have several things in front of that need to get done first.

Nancy, at one time I was drinking 20 cups of coffee in 24 bhrs but, those days are over. I still love coffee but have to watch my intake. I will post more pictures as they come available.

Mohammad, Thank you sir for the kind words

Stuart, That has been the story of my life, trying to pack 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 lb bag. There is never enough square footage for my shops. Now if I ever win the Lottery, Oh, I have to have a ticket6 to play. Oh well, I will have to do with what I have earned.

Hello Barry. The floor is looking great. We all learn something new every time we try something new, eh? I'm sad for those folks that never get their hands dirty. Glad to have you and yes, we like pictures.

Welcome aboard! The floor is looking good. :thumb:

Which reminds me, I think I'll be replacing one of the bedroom carpets with laminate this summer and I may have gotten a little excited with the pneumatic stapler with the bedroom carpets when we did the hallway earlier. :eek: :doh:

Respiratory protection is important. Good luck with everything!