headed to Beijing

Paul Hubbman

Wednesday, i'm off to Beijing for a couple of weeks. I like traveling, but this will be my first trip to China. Anyone been there? Any "off the beaten path" recommendations (food, sightseeing, etc.)? It's a work trip, but i think i'll have 3 days during the stretch to look around. There are a few typical tourist things on my list - Great Wall, Forbidden City, Olympic Park, some of the great gardens and Temples.
Any craftsman there to investigate? I know of a jade workshop that i'd like to visit.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Paul Hubbman

Paul,

I've been there a couple of times. Great Wall and the Forbidden City are interesting, but just in front of the City is Tienamen Square. I walked across it, remembering the pictures on TV. There were lots of young soldiers standing guard... You get a real sense of history, and gratefulness of your home when you stand, look and remember.

Dunno any specific suggestions, but our company just opened a branch office in Beijing last Monday. I'll ask around and see if any of my co-workers who've been there have any suggestions.

A trip to the Great Wall is definitely worth it. Not too far out of Beijing. Your hotel should be able to arrange it.

On jade, the Asians consider the light, translucent jade to be the best, not the dark, opaque green jade you often see. I don't know much about jade but I lived in Asia for a while and that's what I was told.

I was in Beijing maybe 7 years ago and it was a booming place. With the Olympics coming, I'm sure it's booming even more. It's an interesting place - I hope you enjoy it.

Mike

Well, i'm back now. This time last week i was eating duck tongues and chicken feet (not kidding). There were a lot of things i passed on, but everything i ate was pretty tasty. Hospitality was great, and i got to look around a bit too. Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, Hutongs, Olympic construction projects. There's a lot going on to say the least. It is a fascinating place. 14 million official residents - probably another 6 million unofficial and visitors combined. "Concrete Jungle" comes to mind.
I like seeing places that are very different from where i live. This ranks up there. It seems to be a place of inspired tinkerers - people there are truly "handy". They do more with a bicycle than you'd think possible, or prudent, or safe - the things are reconfigured into taxis, pickup trucks, mobile repair shops. Power sources include pedals, electric motors, gas engines, and any combination of the 3. That's just an example. I could go on about some of the construction sites i visited, but you get the idea.
If you enjoy travel and get the opportunity, i recommend a visit.
Paul Hubbman