does anyone have experience with these type organizations

allen levine

I surf craigslist in ny, for free wood, or discounted wood all the time.
This organization seems to get job leftovers, over stock, donations, whatever, things that end up in a dump somewhere.
They claim to offer it at less than half regular price.
For someone like me, this could be a good source of lumber, cheap pt or pine, maybe some oak. Dont know, Im going to take a ride this week I think.
www.bignyc.org

I assume this is similar to Habitat for Humanity stores. If so it's a crap shoot but well worth the effort of going. Just never know what they will have. Some real bargains, they just don't last long.

With Habitat, sometimes manufacturers donate new items.

With the 'green' craze now reaching a frenzied level, I think we can expect to see many of these 'feel good' groups springing up. They probably all have good intentions but the difference will be in organization. Assess the risk and do what you feel is right.

Geez, Frank, tell us how you really feel... ;)

Allen, a place like that started up a while back here in town... I only recently found out about it. Went there last friday, went back the next day with money... ;)

Walked out of there with about 60 BF of rough sawn 4/4 and 5/4 white oak. For less than 70 bucks. I'm going back today... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Our local Habitat ReStore occasionally has some nice stuff. We bought closet organizer systems brand new in boxes for 1/2 of Lowes price. Lowes apparently donated them when they changed brands. I also got a 500' spool of Cat 5e cable for $10. They had several bunks of composite deck material for pennies on the dollar. I don't go there regularly, but when I drop stuff off or am in the area with a few minutes to kill, I stop in. They are always busy. and they seem to move stuff pretty quick. They'll even pick stuff up from you.

Ill be there tuesday with my camera if I make any purchases.
Im big into the tiki theme, so movie set items are always welcomed.
They are almost on top of the big movie studios in Astoria.
who knows what Ill find.(a pile of white oak would make my day)just called them no oak or pt right now

Last edited:
The concept of "greenbuilding" in general and re-use stores like these are becoming very popular throughout the country for a variety of reasons. Not only can one often find things at a steeply discounted price, there's the added benefit of keeping this stuff out of the landfill (and thereby saving the resources necessary to make a new item). Plus, many people either prefer the style or the craftsmanship found in these older items.

Greenbuilding is also one of the fastest growing trends today in the construction/remodeling industry. As woodworkers, I feel we have a certain responsibility to use our resources wisely. :thumb:

I just got back from this place today.
Huge place, but nothing for me.
Alot of construction lumber, like 2x8s, tons and tons of doors, interior, exterior, alot of used bathroom fixtures.
tons of used mouldings, some very old looking and ornate, 10-12 inches wide.
I dont even know what type of woods they were.
Pieces, long, short, you name it.
They had hundreds and hundreds of cabinet doors, every size, wood, some with hinges, some without hinges, priced from 5 bucks and up.
Alot of hardward which I didnt even bother to look through.
Alot of big lumber, like 4x12s. the kinda stuff I only see on construction sites, or carrying tractors on trailors.
I believe movie flats they are called, tons of them, like 8 foot high walls, but only 8 feet wide each, like a movie set, and just so much stuff.
Ill try again in a few weeks.