Alpine Meadows Shop

Irv Graham

Golden Greetings
Its about time that I let you survey my shop chalet I built 7 years ago. It is a 24 by 32 foot lower level of a 4 bedroom chalet. Other than a small utility room it is stuffed with basic, specialized tools needed for woodworking, my woodmizer bandsaw operation, wood and alot of (s)crap storage. Two garage doors allows access to outside storage and covered shelter. Some of the timberframing(new endeavor) tools may not be familiar. Since my wood never comes from the store, cutting logs into to useable planed, stock is a big exercise.

Using a brick layers scaffold unit on wheels is unique, at times I have laid out stained and dried 500 lin feet of beveled cedar siding, besides planing 12' lengths of boards. Storing green stock to dry is a necessary evil.

I hate the steel support post in the middle, I can never swing 12' stock around without it in the way. I want more tools, but I have to get rid of stuff before I get more. Some specialty items are 16" makita beam saw, makita chainsaw mortiser, and 6" makita planer.

I am building a 16 x 12' timberframe shed as my first attempt(see image of timbers). Some of the other built items include 3 test adirondack chairs(building more new design), a willow chair and a 300 lb picnic table. That all for now.
Enjoy the tour.
Cheers

Attachments

• shop1.jpg
    shop1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 185
  • shop2.jpg
    shop2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 135
  • shop3.jpg
    shop3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 125
  • shop4.jpg
    shop4.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 128
  • shop6.jpg
    shop6.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 143
  • shop7.jpg
    shop7.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 150
  • achairs.jpg
    achairs.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 149
  • timberframeshed.jpg
    timberframeshed.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 102
  • tablepicnic.jpg
    tablepicnic.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 106
  • willowchair.jpg
    willowchair.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 103
Looks great Irv, I'm envious of all that space! :thumb:

The timber framing tools, the chainsaw mortiser, for example, they must be fairly rare around there....... no?

Thanks for the tour!:wave:

Hi, thanks for the reviews.

Stu, these tools for timberframing are basic, you should see what some gifted craftsmen can do with a chainsaw and a sharp chisel. There are quite a few small timberframing and log building operations out here. The douglas fir is stable and strong, a preferred species for TF.

Robert, come any time, now would be good, need help planting 7000 seedling spruce and larch.

Jim, I had this view for 18 years and can't get enough of it. Although it takes someone new to say wow and remind me.

Patrick, yes, the BT3000 Ryobi tablesaw is good, unusual, light duty but has flaws and is not for heavy duty use.

Rough carpentary can still let the character of wood shine through with all its knots, blemishes, and grain.:)
Cheers
Irv