Your plans for the long weekend?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
In the US this is a three day weekend for most folks. How are you spending the extra day off? Any special woodworking plans?

My plans include taking the pile of roughsawn walnut I've been air drying for over 2 1/2 years and turning it into something usable. Unfortunately, it looks like a good portion will only be usable as fuel for our patio fire pit. Oh well. I need something to keep my toes warm as I toss back a few brews at the end of the day!
Here's the "before" shots. As the day progresses I'll put up some more pictures.
DSC_2368.jpg DSC_2369.jpg DSC_2367 2(700 x 464).jpg

I was already told Im the host of a party for all my childrens friends.
They need someone to buy the supplies and man the barbeque.
Its great being a dad.
Im really looking foward to them calling me before I leave work today and giving me a big list of things they need if I didnt mind picking the up on the way home.

theres always something drying or waiting for spar varnish or polyurethane in my garage.

The wife and Little girl at at her Mom's all weekend so I am alone with the dogs and doing a bit of logging. Its been awhile since I have been in the shop so being out in the woods is the next best thing.

I brought along my digital camcorder, so if I can figure out how to download this this video I may have something worthy to post later. Might be kind of neat to see a little small scale logging :dunno: (Thankfully no trees on powerlines or chainsaw into my leg today. Hopefully the next two days goes just as good.):thumb:

Crosscutting complete!
I ended up with this stack
DSC_2370z (600 x 398).jpg DSC_2372.jpg

And this stack
DSC_2371.jpgDSC_2373.jpg

And, unfortunately, this stack
DSC_2374 z(600 x 398).jpg

Now, it's on to the band saw for some creative ripping!:eek:

Our great granddaughter spent the night last night. I never seem to get anything done when she's around. I did get to the shop and make some measurements and snap a horizontal layout line for my cabinets. I got some measuring done and made a run to the local lumberyard for more 3/4" plywood and some framing materials for the lumber rack. Between the run to the lumberyard and the run I made later to the hardware store, I got my heart stolen. We have a scissor type gate at the top of the stairs going to our basement to keep little 22 month old Riley from going down those stairs. I was in the basement working on the computer and she was standing at the top of the stairs....."PaPa!.....PaPa!" I'd growl back "What do you want?"....Finally I went to the top of the stairs and I could hear little feet trotting back towards the stairs. I jumped out and yell "Boo....Gitchee Gitchee"....wiggling my hands like I was going to tickle her. She ran down the hallway to Great grandma.....stopped and started singing...."PaPa ...I wove you......PaPa...I wove you"...I melted. Nanny(GGM) has taken her back home.

On my way to the shop to cut the moveable shelf for my first shop wall cabinet and then it's time to hoist that rascal onto its french cleat. After running a couple of scews into studs, it's painting time.

Have enough material to build another one over this 3 day weekend.

In addition to a pile of "work" work that I need to have done by Tuesday, I'm trying to get a few more pieces finished up in preparation for another art show next weekend. I have a few bigger pieces nearly done, then I also want to make some lower-priced stuff to round out my inventory. I may take my first stab at making pepper mills. I also finished up a little cutting board project and got them out in the mail today. And of course there's still more shop organization that needs to be done. Several things were moved or displaced when I added Plum Bob to my shop last weekend.

I see 624 candle holders in walnut, nice. How does it take stain?
Hmmm. It's all air dried and the few little pieces I've used so far took a finish really well.
While I'm sitting in front of the fire this evening with my barley pop I'll try not to toss any into the flames that might make a good candle holder.:D

I'm painting the ceiling and installing crown molding in our formal living room. This will be "fun" as the ceiling is a tray style, with a 30︒ angle where the wall starts the angled part up to the ceiling.

Plans are for doing some screen doors for the french doors we have at the house. Seems everything at the home stores are expensive and ugly, and the custom made stuff you can buy, well, let's just say it's an opportunity to save.

Will probably post some pics when done.

That and making a couple of cutting boards, one for a very good neighbor, and one because I just want a massive aircraft carrier type board....

We'll see how much of it gets done. Did manage to do some glue ups on the doors today....

I'm painting the ceiling and installing crown molding in our formal living room. This will be "fun" as the ceiling is a tray style, with a 30︒ angle where the wall starts the angled part up to the ceiling.
Looks like you're going to have your hands full Greg. Angles other than 45 and 90 always drive me a little nuts.:doh:

Plans are for doing some screen doors for the french doors we have at the house. Seems everything at the home stores are expensive and ugly, and the custom made stuff you can buy, well, let's just say it's an opportunity to save.

Will probably post some pics when done. Please do!

That and making a couple of cutting boards, one for a very good neighbor, and one because I just want a massive aircraft carrier type board....

We'll see how much of it gets done. Did manage to do some glue ups on the doors today....
You'll be busy too! I'd really like to see how your doors turn out. A screen door for the back door of my shop has been on the to-do list for a long time!:eek:

Working on wiring in the new shop. I have two circuits left to pull the wire thru the conduit. Then I will work on painting the outside of the windows and doors. The wife and kids will be going to her perents house sunday and monday for a cookout which will give me plenty of time to get some work done. Also have to clean up the bird that the do caught in the barn.

Not a holiday here in Canuckistan, but I did get up and on the road at 7am to bike 38km. Got some nice hills and rolled back in at 9:05am just when my lovely bride was rolling out of bed from her lazy sleep in (hedonist) but we enjoyed my second breakfast together with the kids so that was good.

This afternoon I ripped and glued up two (or 3, if it turns out well) cutting boards for future gifts. Tomorrow got a wedding to go to in the afternoon and Monday is a road trip. Enjoy your day, folks!

...art

Most important . . .

Somehow the list this weekend is longer than normal : 7 STRYKER Infantry Vehicals, 6 HMMVs, 6 PATRIOT Launchers and (about) three Bradley Infantry Vehicals. Oh . . . starting drawings for Abrams. But most important :

When Dog & I go out on Monday morning to put the flag up we lower it halfway back down. God bless my ARMY and all who didn't come back.

brent, its funny you posted this today, cause I was looking around free craigslist today to see if I could run over tomorrow and pick up any free wood offerings, and Id love to get my hands on this, dont even know what Id do with it, but 2 inchs thick, Id figure something out eventually.
check out this ad, talking about big cutting boards, posted today.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/zip/693390777.html

maybe it was a cutting board for the jolly green giant.(I was thinking, get some 4x4s, might make a beautiful table somewhere)

theres another guy 45 minutes from me offering free cherry wood, in chappaqua, but Ive got a terrible head cold and Id have to listen to my wife yell at me all night if I ran over there tonight.

Last edited:
Rennie, looks like you just took you time making that "Interesting Firewood" is all :D You did get some good pieces, right?

Greg, better you than me dude, WAY better! :wave:

I'm not on a long weekend, and I'm working both Saturday and Sunday this week, last week too:doh:

:wave:

Rennie, looks like you just took you time making that "Interesting Firewood" is all :D You did get some good pieces, right?
:wave:
yes, there was some good stuff in there.:D
Not too much as the guys who felled the trees took the best wood. I had agreed to take the logs when my friend had the trees felled, but neither of us knew the cutters were going to make off with the goods.:(

When Dog & I go out on Monday morning to put the flag up we lower it halfway back down. God bless my ARMY and all who didn't come back.

Steve,

Thanks for putting it in persepective and reminding us that it's not all woodworking, honeydo's, Nascar, Indy racing and the like.

Here's my thanks to all who have served, are serving and will serve our country. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, I appreciate all you've given, and will give.

Sincerely....