What blade? 12" CMS

Warren White

I loaned my Delta 12" CMS to a friend to cut a bunch of base moulding (plastic and wood) for his bedroom, halls and bathrooms. When I got it back, the blade had a lot of white plastic on it, so I spent an hour or so cleaning it, only to find about 8 carbide teeth missing. I am sure he didn't do it cutting base and cove moulding; the blade is one I have had in the saw for a long time. Must have happened on my watch but it was not something I noticed until I cleaned it.

Question is, what blade do you recommend (# of teeth, brand, etc.)? I just use the saw every once in a while when I am cutting baseboard or crown moulding.

Thanks.
Warren

I loaned my Delta 12" CMS to a friend to cut a bunch of base moulding (plastic and wood) for his bedroom, halls and bathrooms. When I got it back, the blade had a lot of white plastic on it, so I spent an hour or so cleaning it, only to find about 8 carbide teeth missing. I am sure he didn't do it cutting base and cove moulding; the blade is one I have had in the saw for a long time. Must have happened on my watch but it was not something I noticed until I cleaned it.

Question is, what blade do you recommend (# of teeth, brand, etc.)? I just use the saw every once in a while when I am cutting baseboard or crown moulding.

Thanks.
Warren
Hi Warren :wave:,
Sorry about your blade, it does happen. It costs about $3.50 a tooth for repacement carbide to be put back on a blade down here.
I would get an 80 or a 100 tooth, for a really smooth cut on your molding. Change over to another blade if you loan it to someone else. I have heard Amana has a good product. Good luck. I'm not sure of the tooth set but maybe one of the other folks will step up and share.
Shaz:)

Freud on mine, I think it's around 80 tooth. Diablo from the Borgs. It's been working quite nicely for quite a while, leaving a nice smooth cut.

The one I have used is the Forrester chopmaster. It leaves a nice clean cut. I would take the old blade in to see if it can be saved. If not, then you can make a shop clock out of it or have it painted for wall art.:D

Thank you!

I really appreciate all of the replies. I hadn't thought about having the teeth replaced, so the blade is gone. I will start looking for a replacement with the advice you have given.

A great place to learn....

Warren

Woodworker II, their standard combo blade (1/8")... once I tried that, I never looked back. Little pricey, but does great both rip and crosscut, a premium blade that delivers in my humble opinion. Eventually sent it back to get sharpened, bought a second while that one was away so I always have a good sharp blade in reserve in case I hit something and chip a tooth or what not.

Dave, it is for a CMS so the WWII in your tablesaw is probably not for him.

I have a Hitachi thin kerf and it works really good. Also bought a forrest 12" Chopmaster but have not put it on yet. Still using the Hitachi.