woodworking software

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I picked up a new BlackBerry 8130 and was wondering if anyone knew of any woodworking software for it? I've checked the usual sites, but looking for a fractional calculator to add feet and inches.

Thanks,

Ok, Started doing BlackBerry development at work. Looks like I'm going to write my own. Below are some ideas I'm starting with and using info I have. Anyone have a wish list? Posting any info you have would help...Thanks

Regular calculator
Fractional Calculator
Reference material (Drill/tap charts, speed charts, wood types and info)

Thanks,

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. For the fractional calculator code I have, the fraction method basically breaks down the input to decimal to make calculations, so should be able to convert it from there. (1/64 = .0156 = 0.3969 mm).

I'm still on the learning curve of seeing what I can do with the BlackBerry JDE, but looks to be easy enough. Should be able to port some java applets over for a good part of the project too as needed.

Here's a start

I've got the first calculator built. It does addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of feet, inches, and fractions. The results are displayed as feet/inches/fraction or 0'-0 1/2" (see pics). The software is compiled in 4.2.1and is signed. Your BlackBerry will need 4.2.x or higher OS to run it. It's only been tested on the Pearl 8100 and 8130, but should run on any running 4.2.x and higher.

I'll post the files after I do a little more tweaking.

Attachments

• ShopCalc01.jpg
    ShopCalc01.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 7
  • ShopCalc02.jpg
    ShopCalc02.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 5
  • ShopCalc03.jpg
    ShopCalc03.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 6
Darren, interesting project, best of luck with it.

Eddie, welcome to the Family, and that is a great program, I just downloaded it and installed it, very useful, thanks much! :thumb:

Very cool, Darren. Let me know when you go beta with it. I'll give it a spin. (You'll have to edumacate me on how to install it, though.)

I like the fact that you have to think in RPN for your operations. (Or at least it appears that way.) Does it use a stack like an HP calculator?

Thanks guys.

Vaughn, Currently it's not working on a stack, just computing between the top and bottom set of fields. Was going to add a memory+/- & recall function, still may, but I like the stack idea too. I've got a couple of UI changes to do and it will be ready. I'm testing out loading it from a web page as a JAD (like you would load G-maps). Will post a link here when I get the changes made.

I'm thinking of making it a full reference application than just a calculator app. I was thinking about making the reference material something that could be loaded like documents. That way users could add-in or plug-in what ever reference material they wanted.

There will be more calculators to come, just started with one that I use most of the time. :D

I know...just selfish of me.:dunno:

I think I've worked out most of the bugs on this. I've only tested on an 8100 simulator and my 8130. However the application should run on any BlackBerry running 4.2.x or higher.

To install the application:
  1. Download the ShopCalculator.alx and ShopCalculator.cod files to your computer.
  2. Connect your BlackBerry via the USB cable to your PC.
  3. Open the Desktop Manager. Once opened and it finishes doing the sync, click on the Application Loader link.
  4. Click the "Add" button and select the ShopCalculator.alx file.
  5. Click "Open", this will add the ShopCalculator application to the list of applications available.
  6. Click "Next" to load the application to your BlackBerry.

Files to download (right click, save target as):
ShopCalculator.alx
ShopCalculator.cod

Vaughn,
I actually got the screen shots from the simulator, but for presentations at work I use the Rove Mobile Viewer (free). It allows you to display the BB's screen real time via the usb cable. You can also record AVIs and capture print screens. I've found I have to restart the program each time I record a movie or it crashes, but may just be my work pc.