Just made my first plane

Hi there.
Today I was in one of those odd moods that one feels like doing something but not knowing what to do and not feeling in the right frame of mind to continue any of the projects I'm working on for fear of spoiling them.

So I decided to make a wooden plane with a blade I bought about a year ago.
To be honest, I've been surprised how simple it is, I've used the sandwich method favoured by JK and I must say that I didn't expect such good results at the first try.

Just follow the pics and tell me your comments.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• ribot001.jpg
    ribot001.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 75
  • ribot002.jpg
    ribot002.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 76
  • ribot003.jpg
    ribot003.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 77
  • ribot004.jpg
    ribot004.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 60
  • ribot005.jpg
    ribot005.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 64
  • ribot006.jpg
    ribot006.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 67
  • ribot007.jpg
    ribot007.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 63
  • ribot008.jpg
    ribot008.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 71
  • ribot009.jpg
    ribot009.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 102
  • ribot010.jpg
    ribot010.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 128
Thanks Vaughn, I was so happy that I went bersek and just planed down a piece of wood until I couldn't hold it on the vise, I made so many shavings that they almost covered my feet. I was like a catharsis, whisssp, whissssp,whissssp.
It sung like the best tuned violin.

Last edited:
Wow Toni, you got one on me!

I've been wanting to have a go at one of them, but you have done it, and from the looks of it, you have done it well! :clap:

:D :thumb:

Very nice, Toni. I took the liberty of copying your pics and will print them for reference. What type of final finish are you going to put on it?

Sure looks like it works well....

Toni,

Great job. It's such a good looking plane. Should come in very handy. I think this is a project that all woodworkers should give a try. I agree that it really isn't that hard. It gives a good sense of accomplishment when completed. You've gotta love the whisspy shavings. Keep up the good work.

Very nice, Toni. I took the liberty of copying your pics and will print them for reference. What type of final finish are you going to put on it?
Sure looks like it works well....

Thanks Greg.
To be honest I do not know yet, I want to use it for a while and fine tune the shape of it so it feels even better in my hand. Most problably I'll leave it unfinished and let the sweat of my hands build up a patina on it.

I look forward to see yours when you make it:thumb:

Wow Toni, you got one on me!

I've been wanting to have a go at one of them, but you have done it, and from the looks of it, you have done it well! :clap:

:D :thumb:

Well Stu.
Maybe this will motivate you to give your lathe a rest, :rofl: or maybe why don't you give a try to make turned plane? that would be a real challenging project!

Hi Toni, indeed it looks so simple, and it's also not to complicated to make.
But you scored a 10 on the list of 1 to 10.
Great job, and have fun with using it.
Ad :thumb:

I could make a plane with a round profile :D

I have a couple of Japanese blades without bodies sitting around..... :rolleyes:

So what are you waiting for?? I'm pretty sure you've got some scraps that are wishing to be useful.

The only problem I can foresee is that if your blades have a japanese chipbreaker those are not attached to the blade by means of a bolt, as occidental ones.:huh:

So, you would need to lock the blade on conical grooves on the sides in the same way as japanese planes do, or forget about the chipbreaker as old occidental planes did, and just use the wedge to lock the blade in position.

Thanks toni

for sharun that with us, have thought about tryin one myself but got to many other things that have presedence... was that a spokeshave you were using to get the back end shaped? and where did you acquir your blade assembly? what blade angle did you use for the plane, looks to be a 45 degree?

Toni, extremely nice plane. Nota one of my over-the-counter planes work that good. I'm in need of a shoulder plane, where did you get the plans for the design, also not clear what the "JK method" is. Jerry
Hi Jerry.
Thanks for your comments, by the "JK method" I'm referring to the method that James Krenov uses when making his planes.

As far as for the plans for the plane, I had several sources of information.
Later today I'll post links and bibliography. (I have to look them down)

for sharun that with us, have thought about tryin one myself but got to many other things that have presedence... was that a spokeshave you were using to get the back end shaped? and where did you acquir your blade assembly? what blade angle did you use for the plane, looks to be a 45 degree?

Hi Larry.

The body is made out of a scrap of hard maple I had, the blade assembly I acquired from www.davindfinck.com it is a bit cheaper than Hock ones, but for my next one I think I'll get a Hock one.
It took me about 6 hours to make it, so it is a project that can be sneaked in between others even if they are preferent. It provides a good way of relaxing a bit.

You are right, to shape it I used mainly a small spokeshave I made some time ago that works wonders.
I posted the whole process of making it sometime ago, but I'm not able to find the post to insert the link to it. (web tricks are not my strong points). (I rely on a indulgent moderator that can help me on this)

The angle of the blade bed is 45 degrees, the angle of the blade bevel is 30 and the angle of the front part is 65, now I think it would have been better to make it 60 and a bit concave to ease get rid of the shavings, although they push each other upwards fantasticaly, but one can't avoid having jams.

The next plane I'll make will be either a jointer or a low angle block plane. But know I've got a table to finish.