If I see another tomato plant

I'm gonna cry. I haven't done a final count yet but theres

90 San Marznos
88 Amish paste
90 Golden jubilees
40 Taxi's

I didn't count what was planted today but probably around 80 split between the Tomato tree, yellow cherry and the chocolate cherry.

Tomorrow its peppers. :rolleyes: A few melons and pumpkins and that will be the worst of it.

Got my 3 acres for my field corn plowed today. Oh though in a couple spots I had to put the wife on the tractor and and drag her along with the bull dozer. :D Between it being wet in a few spots, tree roots from the uprooted pines, and the fact that it hasn't been plowed in 50 years or so it was slow going.

I'm gonna cry. I haven't done a final count yet but theres

90 San Marznos
88 Amish paste
90 Golden jubilees
40 Taxi's

I didn't count what was planted today but probably around 80 split between the Tomato tree, yellow cherry and the chocolate cherry.

Tomorrow its peppers. :rolleyes: A few melons and pumpkins and that will be the worst of it.

Got my 3 acres for my field corn plowed today. Oh though in a couple spots I had to put the wife on the tractor and and drag her along with the bull dozer. :D Between it being wet in a few spots, tree roots from the uprooted pines, and the fact that it hasn't been plowed in 50 years or so it was slow going.

Oh Robert, you must cry louder than that... ;) You know you're loving it. ;) I know I am! In my pathetic DC metro-micro backyard, I have at least 20 tomato plants including peach, pear, lemon and grape tomatoes... 16 pepper plants, including jalapeno, salsa and habaneros... 15 bush beans (boring yellow types) not to mention the rosemary, basil, lavender and chives patch. And that's only the herb/food stuffs, not the flowers!

Last week a blue heron had breakfast on me (at least 8 big goldfish from my pond :( ) And this afternoon, visiting birds made quick work of the dolichos lab lab and bean sprouts I grew from seed as they sunned themselves innocently on the table near the fire pit.

All within 1/8 acre or less. Such drama. ;)

Hang in there, man. It's all worth it!

--MJ (quick wave to Travis :wave:)

Curt, I'm just a glutton for punishment :D

MJ, we haven't even started on the flowers yet. Theres around 200 4 Oclocks out in the greenhouse, Why? because SOME ONE had that many seeds. I won't mention her name :D

Curt, I'm just a glutton for punishment :D

MJ, we haven't even started on the flowers yet. Theres around 200 4 Oclocks out in the greenhouse, Why? because SOME ONE had that many seeds. I won't mention her name :D

LOL... the unmentionable name must be "She Who Must Be Obeyed"? :D

And only 200 Four O'Clocks? Heh heh! That Person and I would have a lovely time together... do you need any sunflower or datura seeds? I have at least 1,000... ;)

--MJ

WOW, that's a lot of tomatoes! I usually stick with about 20 or so, Roma and Early Girl, and a couple others I've forgotten.

I do put in about 70 or so cucumber plants, though.... Japanese Tasty Green

What kind of peppers do you plant, Robert?

My wife and I have an agreement. The garden is her baby. And she fills it with tomatoes. I built it, I'll mulch it, and even water on occasion, but I don't plant it or prune it.

You see, all through college (and half of high school) I worked in a greenhouse during the summers, so it was months of tomatoes for me. Thousands of square feet of tomatoes under glass. 2hrs of picking every day,plus sorting, plus pruning, and later cleaning.

I still hate the feel of tomato plants, and the smell isn't much better.

But the taste, is fine :thumb:

Robert, that's gonna net a boatload of veggies. I'm guessing a lot get canned?

I've not grown any tomatoes since we moved into this house, but I used to get quite a few out of six plants at my last house. I was the only one eating them, and the rest were be given away to neighbors and co-workers.

I recall reading a story years ago about a small farming town somewhere in the middle of the US where people tended to leave their car doors unlocked when they went to town on the weekends...except during harvest season. If they didn't lock them, there was a good chance they'd come back to the car and find a grocery bag full of zucchini on the passenger seat. :D Sounds like you might live in one of those towns. :p

And MJ, you really need to stop spending all your free time sitting on the couch watching soap operas and eating bon-bons. You need to do something more productive, like maybe plant a few things in the back yard or something. :rofl: Man, you don't mess around, do you?

OK - One of life's great questions....How do tomato worms know where the tomato plants will be and where to they hide the rest of the year when there are no tomato plants???

Pete, I don't know the answer. I do know that they haven't found my place in 4 or 5 years though.

Greg, the peppers are all sweet peppers,
California wonders in different colors, green, red, yellow and orange.. theres are a purple and white variety also.

Cucumbers we just plant market more. They sell pretty well, been picking them for a month now. I raise them right in the hotbed in the greenhouse.

Vaughn, yeah we can a lot. the rest go either to the market in Pittsburgh, or the food bank in Youngstown

Greg wrote:
WOW, that's a lot of tomatoes! I usually stick with about 20 or so, Roma and Early Girl, and a couple others I've forgotten.

Oh my gosh, did I see a tomato turning in your garden already? That's wonderful! Mine are still... um... not turning. Green as can be. :rolleyes: Blossoming like crazy, but not turning. I know come August I'll have more tomatoes than Del Monte.

And, Vaughn wrote...
And MJ, you really need to stop spending all your free time sitting on the couch watching soap operas and eating bon-bons. You need to do something more productive, like maybe plant a few things in the back yard or something. :rofl: Man, you don't mess around, do you?

I would sit on the couch more, but the Beagles won't give me the space... ;)

A friend told me recently that I build beautiful gardens and should go into that professionally. He also said I "bring life" wherever I go, be it rescuing dogs or planting gardens or helping friends-- which took me aback because I never really thought about myself that way. I guess I do. It just seems to me that this is what we should do, make the world a better place if we can. :dunno: :)

Oh man, your zucchini comment made me laugh right out loud. When I lived in western PA, those zucchini drops were everywhere! No one could figure out what to do with all of them. Now, here in DC, I can't find anyone who wants to give it away.

Your happy-beagle-dancing gardener (til fall, then back to wood-- it's all about life, y'know?),

--MJ :)

Ah, there's nothing worse than spring without a garden. You guys are killing me with all this talk. I used to do a little gardening... then I moved into this house. Don't get me wrong: the soil's fine, there's plenty of room, the climate, though frankly often frigid, is perfectly passable. But the yard gives out onto the flood plain of the Anacostia, part of the Potomac/Chesapeake drainage system. It's a narrow swath of parkland for miles and miles, and the deer, of course, love it. A couple weeks ago, I counted 17 of them in the back, just cruising through, nibbling whatever was available. They don't mind people, or fenced dogs, there aren't any predators: life is good, if you're a deer in DC. Or a fox. Or a raccoon, or a heron, or a beaver. Yes, there are trees out back that were felled by beavers.

Maybe I should try an electric fence... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

But the yard gives out onto the flood plain of the Anacostia, ... and the deer, of course, love it. A couple weeks ago, I counted 17 of them in the back, just cruising through, nibbling whatever was available. They don't mind people, or fenced dogs,

:huh: You don't have a fence around your yard?

Oh, and you said "the back". Well, what about the front yard? :thumb:

...Maybe I should try an electric fence... ;) ...
Two letters, one word:

BB Gun.

:rofl:

I know that;s not often workable in the city. I miss the days of being able to go in my own back yard with a BB gun at night and spotlight cockroaches on the cinder block walls. Do that in LA and I'd have LAPD all over me in a heartbeat.

After helping Ned with his shop and building the jointer / drill press mobile base I didn't have the energy to plant anything this weekend. When I heard about last night's frost all traces of guilt about this evaporated.

We'll do some planting this coming weekend - Ned, you're on your own! :wave:

Maybe I should try an electric fence... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Actually, spray once a week with fish emulsion, The plants love it, the deer hate it. I had 4 plants that the deer nibbled off sat night, we sprayed Sunday. On Monday the The property owner told me that there where deer in the garden but they didn't eat a thing.

So by conclusion
A it works
B my plants taste so bad even the deer don't like them :rofl:

Actually, spray once a week with fish emulsion, The plants love it, the deer hate it. I had 4 plants that the deer nibbled off sat night, we sprayed Sunday. On Monday the The property owner told me that there where deer in the garden but they didn't eat a thing.

That would actually work just fine because Bill has a poor sense of smell. :poke: :rofl: :D

My neighbor Arlene said last weekend, MJ, you're always busy expanding your gardens, so you must really love what you do. Well, mebbe, but to be honest it's more like I don't want to mow grass and I like to eat vegetables. ;)

That doesn't much explain the pond, though...

--MJ, closet bon-bon eater :p