Simple and fairly durable finish for entertainment center please....

Mark Rios

I've made a 3 part entertainment center for the Real Estate Broker that I work for. The three parts convert a fireplace and mantle to an ent. center. The mantle, hearth and cabinet trim are walnut with BLO on them. THe hearth will have a decorative item or two on it , i.e. a (non-water holding) vase and a small statue. A flat screen TV will set on the mantle. The inside of the cabinet is already finished with poly. I don't want to use poly on the walnut (unless someone says that it would be the best choice) but I don't know what other type of finish to use. I can wipe or brush on a finish. Neither of the pieces need to withstand any special type of use or abuse, just something like a regular piece of furniture.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 333ent1.jpg
    333ent1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 333ent2.jpg
    333ent2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 333ent3.jpg
    333ent3.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 15
For pieces that will not experience heavy wear (dining table) or chemicals (like a bar or end table [alcohol]) I prefer clear dewaxed shellac.

If you going to do a "rattle can" you might look at Deft lacquer. I have had great luck with it on small items. Not so much with rattle can shellac. It just didn't lay down good. I usually spray my shellac, not out of rattle can though.

Not much experience with it in rattle cans. I have brushed a fair amount on wooden boats.

(FWIW) If I were in your shoes. I would probably use the Deft. Just because I have had good luck with it and I like the way it looks right out the rattle can.

What ever you decide, DO A SCRAP PIECE first!