Captstan Tables...

Art Mulder

Had to share this.

Friend of mine sent me this link: capstan tables.

Watch the video - a circular table that expands, and remains circular! A completely hidden mechanism.

This has got to have really complicated bit of engineering inside!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Art

That is un ............edited for family consumption........... believable! I agree, must be some interesting engineering going on underneath that top.

We used to say that Boat meant "break out another thousand" and talk about projects in terms of "boat units" but I think the ante has gone up to at least $10,000 a unit when we see craftsmanship like this.

Thanks for the post, now I"ve got to spend some time forwarding it to all my boating friends

Jay

Wow!

I like the shape of the center bit too. They could incorporate some amazing inlay work into one of those.

Wow, that's amazing. Looks like it could be a finger-pinchin' son of a gun, but that's impressive engineering. Thanks for the link, Art.

Anyone know how much they cost?

No price on the website that I can see. Something tells me this is one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" situations... :eek:

I note that he's got a patent. That tells me two things.
1) He either wants to keep it very exclusive (the website states that no two are identical), or he is looking at a licensing deal which will make him a lot of dough.
2) Patents eventually expire. So around about 2022 these should be in Wal-Mart for about $500, mass produced in china.:doh: