Copper Pipe

Aaron Beaver

I have some copper pipe that I am using in a project that I will start assembling soon. Is there a way to clean up the pipe to make it look new and bright (at least for a while) since its kinda of dull right now. Its just standard copper pipe for water lines.

Thanks

Just hit it with a little "00" steel wool or maybe even a little finer and it'll be as bright as new! You could use some 150 or so sandpaper but even that would scratch it up a bit. The steel wool should do the job nicely and it'll be smooth and bright.

Good luck!

John

Oh geez, I never even thought about Brasso! That would be the easiest. But just after I made my reply I looked over and saw a length of badly discolored 1" copper pipe leaning in the corner. I went over to the bench and grabbed a hunk of "0" steel wool and rubbed on a section of the pipe for a very short time and it looks great. It shined it right up! But I agree, a chemical cleaner would probably be a little less work. ;)

Attachments

• copper.jpg
    copper.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 38
Now that you are know what to use to make it shiny, what do you plan to use on it to keep it that way?

Here in Maine, the company I work for leases out a building from a well known Maine artist. Being a boatyard, naturally that building is right on the water. Its a beautiful building with copper flashing and trim everywhere. Orginally the owner wanted the building to have bright shiny copper, but by the time the workers got done doing a five foot section of the copper, the salt air tarnished it. After a week of chasing their tails, the owner gave up and now its a dark, tarnished color.

I have heard though that Crystal Clear Arcrlic will keep it shined up.