used Delta contractor saw

Al killian

I have a chance to get a gently used Delta contractor saw from a local guy. It has only been used a few time in the past 20 years. I did try it out and everything works great. He asked me what it was worth and I was not sure. From looking around they seem to be in the $300 to $500 range. It has the stamped steel wings on it. What do you think of the price range? I really need to get a saw as my RAS as too much slop in it.

What make and HP is the motor?

What accessories come with? If there are half a dozen blades and a dado set that would help.

How smooth does it run?

What fence system is on it? << this would be a deal killer for me, some of the older systems simply suck compared to a modern system, so if the fence system is a good one, that would sell it for me.

Depending on the stuff listed above, I'd offer the guy $200, then if he balks, you can go up a bit :dunno:

Cheers! :wave:

Al,
As others have said - it depends.:rolleyes: I have an early 70's Rockwell/Delta contractor saw. Cast iron wings, 1hp motor, (had) jet-lock fence. I paid $100 for it around 18 years ago. The stamped steel wings aren't as desirable (IMHO), but if you are like most, you'll replace them with laminate tables anyway.;) I think the $1-200 range is fair.
My jet-lock fence worked well once I became accustomed to it's idiosyncrasies. The only reason I replaced it was the Lowes/Beismeyer deal last year.

Depending on the price he'll take it could be a good addition to your shop.

FWIW,
Wes

I will have to give it a good look over the next time I see him. I figured if I could pick it up cheap, then it might be worth upgrading the fence at a later time. I will see what all he has with it.

I guess I am the odd ball but I prefer stamped steel wings to cast iron. And I would say what ever you do don't get the cast iron that have the openings in them to lighten them up. Great places to hurt a finger bad. They slip thru the holes and the stock bumps up against them and major pain and potential for serious damage.

I had an old Wards saw with a universal motor for 20 years and a few years ago bought a new Delta contractors saw and it was like going to a cabinet saw compared to what I had. That said I have made many more things on the old Wards saw because I had the time.

The Wards saw turned out to be a re-badged Black and Decker. My son still has it.

That said I see a Saw Stop in my future somewhere.

I guess I am the odd ball but I prefer stamped steel wings to cast iron. And I would say what ever you do don't get the cast iron that have the openings in them to lighten them up. Great places to hurt a finger bad. They slip thru the holes and the stock bumps up against them and major pain and potential for serious damage.

I wouldn't say odd ball - especially if you have to move the stinker - cast iron is a pain literally!:D I like the additional weight the wings add (when not moving the saw) and for whatever reason, I don't care for the recesses stamped in them. Though the recesses in theory create less drag.
I would agree 100% on the waffle wings. A friend had a Craftsman with those and cursed them every time he used it - and had the scars to show for it.

Good luck which ever way you go. If it doesn't feel right, just remember another one will come along soon enough.

Wes

I have a lightly used (probably less than 50 hours) 91 Delta contractors saw, stamped wings, Jet lock fence. I figure it is worth $250 and it is in very good condition.