Student projects

Well, finishing up the school year. Going through the projects completed. Have a wonderful stack of things that students created off of the JET Mini Lathes as well as the scroll saws. One project is a creation of the use of both tools. Students are sending Stu a Thank You as he sent us a box of wood pen blanks. I guarded them closely and waited for the end of the year as I was hoping their improved skills would insure them a completed pen versus a blowout. Photo skills of the teacher lack something/actually lack a lot. Am going to invest in a camera, tripod, and build a photo booth for these projects to be photographed in. Please enjoy and feel free to comment.
First picture, a conglomeration of turned mushrooms, scoll work background, the left chopper is actually a scrollwork chopper puzzle, turned some wooden eggs, left overs from wood pen blanks painted, drilled and turned into dice.
Second picture, a pair of pens from Stu's wood (S and K) with black titanium slim twist hardware.
Third picture, my ringmaster using a skew. I own a ring tool but find a skew easier and this student took it to another level as he has two sizes of rings one fits within the other, as well as sheer numbers per inch of stock.
Next picture, three slim lines left one blood wood, the other two from Japan, S and K wood.
Last one on the top line, a pair of snowmen. Originally bought a bunch of hickory hammer handles for 50 cents each, can get two "adult" one "juvenile" and from the top a christmas tree from each handle, sells for $5.00.
Canister set. Again, using just the tools that come from Craftsman's beginner set. This student found a nice walnut limb in a firewood pile, got enough to make this canister set for his mom on Mother's day.

Attachments

• Ds artwork.JPG
    Ds artwork.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Nathans small canister.JPG
    Nathans small canister.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Nathans large canister.JPG
    Nathans large canister.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Nathans medium canister.JPG
    Nathans medium canister.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Nathan K canister set.JPG
    Nathan K canister set.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Kyles snowmen.JPG
    Kyles snowmen.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Kyles pens two right from Japan.JPG
    Kyles pens two right from Japan.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Kyle the ringmaster.JPG
    Kyle the ringmaster.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Jordan K pens.JPG
    Jordan K pens.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 20
Here are more shots of my student's work.
The first picture is of a studen'ts work. The scroll saw eagle he took off of a picture on the internet, another student had the picture of the Marines and the flag raising, incorporating the two was fantastic.
The second picture is of a black poured resin pen, I get the blanks from Jeff in Indiana. If you look closely, it looks like a mirror image on the nib end as he blew it out, he cut, sanded and glued the left over on and it came out fantastic.
Third picture, another poured resin pen blank from Jeff in Indiana, blue and gold, our school colors as well as the FFA's colors.
Fourth picture of some assorted work.
Fifth picture is of a lidded container, next picture same container on its side.
Sixth picture is of a fishing lure, turned on the lathe, cut on the band saw. Made a bunch of these, real hit.
Seventh picture, a group of pens made by one student.
Last two pictures, two more sets of S and K Japanese pens from two different students.

Attachments

• Japanese wood pens.JPG
    Japanese wood pens.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Japan wooden pens.JPG
    Japan wooden pens.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 5
  • group of pens.JPG
    group of pens.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 6
  • fishing lure.JPG
    fishing lure.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 9
  • container and lid side.JPG
    container and lid side.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 7
  • container and lid.JPG
    container and lid.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 12
  • brandens work.JPG
    brandens work.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 15
  • Blue gold pen I.JPG
    Blue gold pen I.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Black PR pen.JPG
    Black PR pen.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Austins work.JPG
    Austins work.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 22
Yet another group of pictures.
A close up of the eagle scroll work.
Second picture, a shot of a student's work.
Third picture, a small lidded container, holds two quarters.
Fourth picture, another lidded container.
Fifth picture, another set of pens.
Sixth picture, a pair of cups.
Seventh picture, another pair of pens, blanks compliments of Stu.
Eighth picture, another rendition of Stu's pen blanks in the finished state.
Last picture, a student's group of pens.

Attachments

• Two Japanese pens.JPG
    Two Japanese pens.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 3
  • S and K Japanese wood.JPG
    S and K Japanese wood.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Non lidded containers.JPG
    Non lidded containers.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 12
  • More pens.JPG
    More pens.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 3
  • lidded container I.JPG
    lidded container I.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 7
  • lid and container small.JPG
    lid and container small.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Jordans work.JPG
    Jordans work.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 9
  • Jordans scroll.JPG
    Jordans scroll.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Three pens.JPG
    Three pens.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 4
YA DUN GOOD HURDY GURDY MAN

and the students done great too,, howd the rollin pin turn out? and which lidded box was his? the light colored one? hey you need to show us termite too.. bet your lookin forward to your summer off huh.. just plannin fer next year... take care my friend and tell your yonguns i said hey

Larry, fifth one on last set of pictures. The rolling pin I didn't get a picture of before it left the shop and his mother will not let him bring it back in as she is quite fond of it!
This is a highlight of the projects. There were many more projects and quite a few of them done very well. Slim line pens were the choice of pens. Mainly due to the cost or lack of much cost. I teach in a poor county, think last time I looked, we were next to last in line or second in line for poorest whichever way you want to look at it. So we utilized a lot of limb wood and it was a good way to teach students to look at wood in a completely different way. Larry was in my shop, an honor I apprciate, and Stu sent a generous amount of Japanese wood pen blanks that I forever will be in his debt. Next year plan on better pictures, more of them, in smaller doses.
The termite is working! Splitter splits, log lift lifts, the elevator doesn't elevate yet as am waiting on a part. Otherwise, it is a working machine. Thanks for asking Larry, will tell the girls that you said hello. Busy weekend, Tess graduates Friday night, her party is Sunday so Saturday a hog will sacrifice its life for her next day's dinner!!! If your in the area, you are invited!

Hey Jonathan, the projects look great! :thumb:

I'm glad that the pen blanks worked out, if you need some more, just tell me, I'll send you another box :D

The "S & K" is for Sakura and Red Keyaki, Sakura is a kind of Cherry, and the Keyaki is in the Elm family.

Cheers!