Higher tool prices

Bruce Shiverdecker

In Memorium
Don't know if this is the right place. If not, please move it.

As most of you know, I work part time at Woodcraft. This is NOT an ad, but strictly for your information.

I attended an employee meeting tonight and got some information I thought you would like to know.

There has been some discussion here about new, somewhat shocking higher cast Iron tool prices. This is an industry-wide problem. There is a big shortage of Cast Iron. Therefore higher prices to the manufacturers and us. In the case of Rikon, (I'm sure that you know that they are having problems with keeping up with demand) they had to refuse about a shipload of bad castings. That's a LOT of lathes, Band saws, etc.

I have no word about when deliveries will improve.

One other note: Bessey clamps are being redesigned. When this batch, that is on special is gone, the current style will be replaced by a new, improved clamp. It appears that there will be a little wait till the new ones are available.

Bruce

Good information and interesting as well, thanks Bruce.

I wonder under what brand the rejected shipload of tools will show up, cause you KNOW they are not becoming boat anchors :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Interesting. I stopped by my local WC yesterday for the first time to look over the selection of cabinet saws (Steel City,PM,Jet,SawStop,Unisaw).

Left with a bunch of "toy" catalogs and a note from the owner that they would be having a 10% off equipment sale from June 19 to July 26.

Kinda makes me wonder if the price increase for cast iron tops is going to offset the upcoming sales?

Went in with the idea of picking up a PM2000, but after looking over the SS I am having a change of heart, so I left with nothing. Decisions, Decisions....

Rob

Making me wonder if the cast iron shortage is why Grizzly went to cast steel for the lathe model I just purchased. Jet used cast iron on their clone of this model. Also have to wonder if more, or all, of Griz tools, wood and machine are steel now. We are shipping our scrap steel to China and it is coming back in the form of finished products.