retirement treat to ourselves

Allen, we did the math, and counting the payment, insurance, gas, maintenance, propane, food, campground fees, and other incidentals (such as renting a car when we got to a destination), it was more expensive to travel in the thing than to travel in our (then) Ford Explorer and stay in motels and eat in restaurants. Now, with the Windstar, which gets better mileage, it makes even more sense.

Frank, sorry for hi-jacking your thread. Congratulations to you and LOYL and I hope the two of you have many happy times in your new camper.

Nancy

thinking about the math, if you do 400 miles a day in one of these rigs, it might pay to just get a 4 cylinder car and stay at inexpensive motels at night.

225 bucks for a trailor or camper, for a 400 mile trip
70 bucks for a 4 cylinder, take the 150 bucks get a room with breakfast.

Not many motels in the woods ten miles off a main road or at the events we attend which are deliberately isolated from civilization. Dollars and cents are not the motivation for owning an RV. Most motels don't allow campfires in the parking lot where folks can sit around visiting at night. It is a different lifestyle. Some of the nicest places to stay a night, or several, are State and National campgrounds. We have 'camped' at lakeside parks only ten miles from our home and felt like we were hundreds of miles away.

Frank,
I hope you have an absolute ball with that rig, looks like a nice one from here.
I used to live full time in a 5-er when I was younger. Like Vaughn I used it for work travel, only I went all over the country in it. I still wish I had a unit big enough to haul it around, and that my folks hadn't sold it a year or so ago (I owned the truck way back when, they financed the trailer).

Not many motels in the woods ten miles off a main road or at the events we attend which are deliberately isolated from civilization. Dollars and cents are not the motivation for owning an RV. Most motels don't allow campfires in the parking lot where folks can sit around visiting at night. It is a different lifestyle. Some of the nicest places to stay a night, or several, are State and National campgrounds. We have 'camped' at lakeside parks only ten miles from our home and felt like we were hundreds of miles away.

I didnt mean it to sound as if I dont understand the enjoyment youd be getting out of it, I totally understand. (my woodworking gives me the same enjoyment)
and I would only wish you nothing but hapiness, and a 1000 good trips in it.
(I just crunch numbers, I cant help myself)

I didnt mean it to sound as if I dont understand the enjoyment youd be getting out of it, I totally understand. (my woodworking gives me the same enjoyment)
and I would only wish you nothing but hapiness, and a 1000 good trips in it.
(I just crunch numbers, I cant help myself)

We allow accountants here? :eek: :rolleyes:

BTW, we do have a little four banger car. Ford Focus, wife loves it. I love getting back into my Dodge truck after driving her little toy. But, we are taking it to Colorado Springs in the summer to see our daughter and son-in-law.

EXACTLY Frank, you can't put a price on that can you :D :thumb:

you asked for pictures

Y'all asked for pictures. Here is one of the first outing with our trailer. Just me and the grandsons. Eight year old fraternal twins. We went to Blanchard Springs Caverns and campground about 50 miles south of our house. The place is one of Arkansas' real treasures. Here we are in camp. The boys look unhappy but are really just tired. We had just come back from a cave tour. Had a great time with the grands. They went swimming a couple times. We took two different cave tours, both beyond spectacular. An enjoyable memory making time with the boys. :) The trailer is self-contained so not having hook ups wasn't a problem. I'm glad we got it. :D

Attachments

• boys and trailer.jpg
    boys and trailer.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 23
We have a camper that goes on the back of my F-350 Diesel (Well, when we bought the diesel, the price per gallon was less than Gas).

We don't go on fancy vacations to foreign destinations, or cruises, or anything that needs an airplane (The big ole labradors don't really like flying).

Our idea of a vacation is to load the camper on the truck, get the dogs in it and go looking for places out of cell phone range. Hard to believe, but in the western states, there are still areas where the dreaded electronic radiation has yet to penetrate... :dunno:

Hard to put a dollar and cents value on that...

Frank, I have great memories of trailer camping with my grandparents back when I was about the age of those boys. Memories of those types of adventures will stick with those boys from here on out. :)